Alex Cuthbert could be set for a shock recall to the Wales team for Saturday's autumn series finale against Australia.
Cuthbert has missed all of Wales' November appointments after suffering an ankle injury while on Heineken Cup duty for Cardiff Blues last month.
However, the British and Irish Lions wing has been training with Wales and assistant coach Shaun Edwards has delivered an encouraging fitness bulletin ahead of the Millennium Stadium clash.
"Alex has been monitored by the Blues staff and by us over the last number of weeks," said Edwards.
"We have not officially called him into the squad yet but he is training with us and he is just being assessed. Fingers crossed he could potentially, maybe, be fit but we will just have to wait and see.
"You always want your best players fit and Alex is basically a player who has scored the winning tries in the last two Six Nations.
"So he is certainly a player we are very interested in, if he is fit, in being available for selection at the weekend."
Meanwhile, Cuthbert's fellow wing George North is also part of preparations this week despite the Australia game falling outside the International Rugby Board's autumn window and clubs not being obliged to release their players for Test duty.
Wales and Bath prop Paul James has returned to the Recreation Ground, with Perpignan pair James Hook and Luke Charteris now back in France ahead of next Friday's Top 14 appointment with Clermont Auvergne.
North joined Aviva Premiership club Northampton for the start of this season, although Wales have consistently said their understanding is that North's Saints contract permits international release outside of the autumn window.
"George is here, yes. He had it (release) written in his contract," Edwards said.
"He is definitely one of our strike players and we are more than happy to see him on the wing for us, or whichever position he plays."