QPR chairman Tony Fernandes insists Les Ferdinand will not be taking up the role of Director of Football at Loftus Road.
The west London club have tried to quash speculation about the future of Harry Redknapp by offering the R’s manager a new deal, but reports had suggested ex-Tottenham coach Ferdinand could be given a senior role.
Fernandes does not think there is any need for a director of football, but hinted that the former Rangers striker could return in a coaching job with young players after his spell in the Spurs backroom.
He told Sky Sports News HQ: “We’re not really into creating Directors of Football or that sort of complicated structure - but obviously Les is someone that I’m close to and we’ve been seeing how we can involve him.
“My next focus is trying to develop the Academy and youth systems – Les is one of many names we’re looking at.
“I’d love him to come back to QPR but we’ll have to wait and see.”
There had been claims that Redknapp’s role was under scrutiny after his team started the Premier League season with successive defeats, including last Sunday’s 4-0 defeat at Tottenham.
But Fernandes is confident his experienced manager will turn around QPR’s fortunes and wants to oversee a period of stability.
“There will be a new deal for Harry - that’s live on Sky! - we’ve been in discussions and it’s something I’ve always wanted, stability,” Fernandes said.
“Last weekend’s result doesn’t impact the shareholders’ view at all – the key thing was to get promoted and there was always every intention to renew his contract and I’m sure in the next few days that will be announced.
“I’ve always been consistent about wanting stability - I wanted it with Neil (Warnock), I wanted it with Mark (Hughes) - every manager I’ve hoped to have stability with.
“With Harry - we’ve gone through ups and downs - he knows the Premier League and we get on very well. He wants the best, he was devastated on Sunday - but he’s the man and hopefully he’ll grow with us and stay with us for a long time.
“We’ve got good players - we’ve brought in everyone that Harry wanted. We’ve tried some new systems, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
“I’m sure Glenn (Hoddle) and Harry will be looking at what’s best - along with the players - and maybe we’ll revert to something simpler.
“But it’s a case of evolution - we’ve got some good people at the back. Clearly against Spurs it wasn’t working, but that’s not my job. That’s for Harry and the boys to look at.
“We’ve got a good spirit, good squad, good coaches and a good manager - it’s up to them to sort it out. I’ve done my bit!”
QPR have brought in a string of summer signings since gaining promotion through the play-offs, but Fernandes did not rule out more new arrivals.
He said: “There’s no point in having thousands of players. We went in with a plan of who we wanted to get and we’ve more-or-less done it. We still need a second keeper and maybe someone else in midfield, but let’s see what comes up.”
Following the interview, Fernandes took the 'Ice Bucket Challenge' in aid of the motor-neurone disease charity ASL - and had four buckets, one for every goal shipped against Spurs, tipped over him by fans.