Sky Sports understands Newcastle United have made a 'substantial' but undisclosed bid for Lyon's Clement Grenier.
The 23-year-old France international has been identified by Newcastle as the man they would like to replace Yohan Cabaye, who is due to complete his move to Paris Saint Germain on Wednesday.
Newcastle have been keeping tabs on the highly-rated midfielder for a number of months, with chief scout Graham Carr giving his approval to the move.
Now Newcastle have lodged a bid, which we understand to be 'substantial', and the club are hopeful that Lyon can be persuaded to sell Grenier.
Lyon have already turned down big money from Napoli for Grenier's midfield partner Maxime Gonalons, but it seems that president Jean-Michel Aulas could do business.
Grenier, who has two years left on his current deal, revealed earlier this week that Aulas had told him he was prepared listen to offers made this winter.
When asked about Newcastle, Grenier said: "I have only just learned about [Newcastle's] interest from the press, like you.
"I have no idea what can be said or done at this time. At one point, the president said that if a good offer is made for me this winter, he would look at it.
"I do not know if he received an offer or not and I'm not at all thinking about it.
"For the moment, it is not in my head. I have goals with Olympique Lyonnais for the end of the season, in the short term. I focus on it.
"The World Cup is one of my goals. It is in a small corner of my mind. Is it better for me to stay in Lyon? For the moment, yes. There are still many goals for me with Lyon."