Andre Villas-Boas says Tottenham are unlikely to try and sign Joao Moutinho again
Last Updated: September 14, 2012 7:16pm
Joao Moutinho: No longer on Villas-Boas' radar after Spurs' failed attempt to sign him in the summer
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas says it is 'highly unlikely' the club will revive their interest in Porto star Joao Moutinho in the January transfer window.
Spurs came close to landing the Portugal international in a reported £22million deal in the summer only for the move to collapse on transfer deadline day.
Moutinho earlier this week fuelled speculation the North Londoners could move for him again in the next window when he revealed he was a fan of former Porto boss Villas-Boas.
But the Spurs boss says, with Scott Parker on the road to recovery from injury, the club have abandoned their pursuit of the 26-year-old midfielder.
"We were prepared for missing out on that player," Villas-Boas told London 24.
"We set our sights on that player in the end of the transfer window - we couldn't conclude the deal but we were ready if that failed.
"It's not likeable that we go back in January. Generally the market is very difficult and very expensive, and it's highly unlikely that we will continue to pursue that transfer because by then we will have [Scott] Parker coming back, and he's a player that we want to come back as soon as possible.
"He's a player who had maximum importance for this club last season and we feel that he can add so much to the squad that we are waiting for the moment when he can come back, so it's just a question that we have to reassess at that time."