Italy international Domenico Criscito has been dropped from their Euro 2012 squad after he was embroiled in a match-fixing scandal.
The Italy first choice left-back was a certainty to play at the competition in the Ukraine and Poland this summer.
However, he was questioned on Monday by police at Italy's training camp in Florence after his name surfaced during an investigation being carried out by prosecutors in Cremona.
But the Zenit St Petersburg defender, who previously played for Genoa, is protesting his innocence.
"To do these (match-fixing) things, it is not something I would do," Criscito told RTL radio station.
"Fortunately, I don't need money, 20, 30 or 40,000 euros, whatever it was, but I don't need money.
"I do a job that I've always dreamed of doing since I was young and I would not mess it up for stupid acts.
"It hurts that this has happened before the (Euro 2012) list but I'm sure that I will come out stronger."
The controversy stems around Criscito's tenure at Genoa which ran from 2008 until 2011.
Prosecutors are alleging he acted unlawfully but his agent Andrea D'Amico is confident the defender will clear his name.
"Criscito is ready to explain anything that may have caused him to be under the spotlight," said D'Amico.
"Our legal team is working in order for the magistrates to listen to him as soon as possible.
"Our only wish is for everything to be cleared as soon as possible."
Earlier on Monday, Lazio captain Stefano Mauri and former Genoa midfielder Omar Milanetto were arrested in the probe over allegations of "criminal association and sporting fraud".