Andre Villas-Boas is not planning another bid for Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Willian and does not expect Chelsea to see any more business in this month's transfer window.
The Blues saw a £16.5million offer for Willian turned down by Shakhtar earlier this month, with the Ukrainian club refusing to budge on their valuation.
The Brazil international has a £29m exit clause in his contract, but it is thought a bid in excess of £20m could be enough to prise him away from Donetsk.
Willian said on Thursday he would relish the chance to join Chelsea in the Premier League, fuelling speculation the Blues could table a second bid.
But manager Villas-Boas said on Friday the Londoners are unlikely to continue their interest in the 23-year-old.
He said: "Willian is an extremely interesting player but I don't think we will progress with our interest because of different issues, from work permit to price valuation.
"I think our project next year is more important than the actual project at the moment. Not that Willian doesn't have the characteristics for the future but we are betting a lot on what we can build on for next year."
Villas-Boas also revealed a swoop for Genk ace Kevin de Bruyne is unlikely this month despite ongoing transfer talk linking him with a move to Stamford Bridge.
But the boss says he is a likely target for the future, adding: "Kevin is a player that is not within my immediate projects.
"He's a player that the club has scouted for quite some time and was interested in for quite some time.
"I think Kevin is an extremely interesting player and I think it's a good bet eventually if the club finishes the situation."
The Blues have made one signing this winter, capturing Gary Cahill from Bolton, and Villas-Boas is not expecting the club to secure any late deals.
He added: "I don't think so. [Prices in] January are inflated and you have to take it into account."