Colin Calderwood has refused to commit himself to Hibernian as rumours link him with a move to Birmingham as Chris Hughton's right-hand man.
Calderwood was assistant to Hughton at Newcastle, helping the Magpies to promotion to the Premier League before taking control at Easter Road last October.
However, his family remain in England and speculation has mounted that Hughton - appointed Birmingham boss this week - would like to make the former Scotland international his number two at St Andrew's.
Calderwood said: "I can't sit here and say categorically there's nothing that would excite me elsewhere. But my job at the minute is to be here.
"I'm delighted to be here. I'm looking forward to the job in hand at present and I don't envisage anything changing too quickly.
"If there is any truth in the stories in the paper I'm in a wonderful position and I should be thankful for that.
"It's nice to have, if something comes of it that might be in the future. This is all born out of past relationships and the fact we had a successful year at Newcastle."
Hibs this week issued a statement after Calderwood was linked with a switch to former club Nottingham Forest as assistant to Steve McClaren, saying no approach had been received and one would not be welcome.
Calderwood said Hughton had not been in touch with an offer and would not be drawn on hypothetical questions.
But he added: "You must always be aware of other options and other chances. There's lots of personal things that do have an implication on any decision."
Garry O'Connor spent three years with Birmingham after leaving Hibs to join Lokomotiv Moscow in March 2006 and now hopes to have the opportunity to work with Calderwood after returning to Easter Road.
O'Connor said: "I hope the gaffer stays here. He's what this club needs. He's a fantastic coach and he's brilliant with the players.
"I'm looking forward to working with him and hopefully I can continue to work with him."
Calderwood, who has signed O'Connor, Ivan Sproule and Sean O'Hanlon this summer, hopes to recruit 'one or two' more players before the close of the transfer window.
He is also not planning to appoint an assistant in place of Derek Adams, saying that was due to the quality of the personnel already at the club.
Hibs have endured a fraught week after an alleged training ground bust up between Martin Scott and Sean Welsh which left Welsh with a fractured cheekbone, which may yet require surgery.
"The club are conducting their own investigation and we'll deal with that," Calderwood said.
"The X-rays were Thursday. He (Welsh) has got a fracture of the cheekbone and we're just waiting for the swelling to go down.
"It's not a good situation for him to be injured right at the start of an important season for his development."
O'Connor has had his fair share of problems in a career which has seen him play in the top divisions in Scotland, Russia and England, but now just wants to concentrate on scoring goals for Hibs.
"I just want to focus on my football career," said the 28-year-old, who signed a one-year deal earlier this month.
"I would love to finish my career at this club, it's a fantastic place."