Rafael Nadal vows to continue his all-action style of play despite injury concerns
Last Updated: February 12, 2013 4:36pm
Rafael Nadal: keen to retain his athletic style of play
Rafael Nadal admits he faces an uncertain future in tennis but says he is confident he will not have to change his style of play.
The 26-year-old Spaniard made his competitive comeback in Chile last week, reaching the final in Vina del Mar following a seven-month absence from the sport.
Although he lost both the singles and doubles finals on Sunday, Nadal is positive about his health, following a series of serious knee injuries during the last four years.
Nadal's strong, heavy build and athletic all-action style of play puts great stress on his joints and bones which have all contributed to his injury problems.
"I hope to continue with my style of play and I am confident that my body will respond."
But the 11-time Grand Slam champion said: "My knee is OK, it limits me a bit but I have confidence it will improve.
"I hope to continue with my style of play and I am confident that my body will respond.
"I am a player who plays with a lot passion, a lot of energy. I suppose that does not help the knee.
"My long-term objective is to be in Brazil in 2016 (for the Rio Summer Olympics).
"I am going to work to arrive in good conditions at what is likely to be my last Olympics.
"I am a bit tired after a hard week in Chile. But it was positive. The process of recovery follows its course."
Nadal continues his rehabilitation at the Brazil Open this week where he is the top seed.