Martin Murray on hostile Argentine crowd and possible big fights

Last Updated: 03/05/13 10:20am

Murray: loved being the away fighter against Martinez

Martin Murray was harangued by the crowd during his loss to Sergio Martinez in Argentina - but told Ringside that he loved every minute of it.

The St Helens middleweight sent WBC champion Martinez to the canvas in Buenos Aires last Saturday, but was eventually defeated on points to accrue his maiden professional defeat in his 25th bout.

Murray, who drew with Felix Sturm when he fought for the WBA belt in 2011, told Adam Smith and Johnny Nelson that he thoroughly enjoyed silencing the Argentine fans following an extremely hostile ring entrance.

And the 30-year-old thinks he would have won the clash, and ended Martinez's three-year stint with the WBC strap, if it had been held in Britain and not in his opponent's homeland in front of 40,000 vociferous spectators.

"HBO were made up with my display against Martinez and want me fighting in America."

Martin Murray

"The ring walk was brilliant and I've never experienced one like it," said Murray. "Usually I am fighting at home and have got everyone [cheering] for me - but I was getting spat on this time!

"I was also getting called all kinds of names and getting booed, but it was great; the crowd started off cheering [for Martinez] but I got them quieter and quieter after each round.

"I thought: 'It's going well here', but I knew that when the final bell went in Argentina that everything was against me and that I was never going to get the decision - though I think I would have done at home."

Brain

Murray says Martinez's promoter, Lou DiBella, swiftly told him that a rematch with the 38-year-old was never going to materialise, but he hopes his valiant display will allow to him to earn further bouts with the world's premier middleweights.

And the Merseysider reckons a contest with former WBC champion, Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr - who was bested by Martinez in Las Vegas last September - could come as early as this autumn.

"I think Martinez is still the best middleweight in the world, but I know I've got the boxing brain and the team to beat him - but [Lou] DiBella has told me there is absolutely no chance of another match," added Murray.

"However, HBO were made up and want me fighting in America, and Julio Chavez has put on Twitter that he wants to fight me in November, so there are some big fights out there.

"There were a lot of people writing me off before the Martinez fight, but I had a great game-plan and was just a whisker away from winning, but unfortunately I didn't get the decision.

"My stock has been raised, though, and hopefully that will open doors for me."

Hit this link to watch our exclusive online show Ringside Extra, as Murray, Jamie McDonnell and Spencer Oliver discuss the boxing headlines with Adam Smith and Johnny Nelson.