Rafael Nadal returns to Buenos Aires event after nine-year absence

Last Updated: 04/12/13 7:45pm

  • Share:
Rafael Nadal: back in Buenos Aires after lengthy absence

Rafael Nadal: back in Buenos Aires after lengthy absence

Sky Bet

World No 1 Rafael Nadal has announced he will play in the Buenos Aires ATP tournament in February for the first time since 2005.

"After a time when I was unable to go, this year I'm going to return to the Buenos Aires tournament and I'm excited to play the Copa Claro again," Nadal said.

Nadal lost to Argentine Gaston Gaudio, the 2004 French Open champion, in the quarter-final of the 2005 Buenos Aires tournament.

"We're very happy to have Rafa, to have a world number one playing for the points in Argentina," said tournament director Martin Jaite, who is also his country's Davis Cup captain.

Nadal made his return from a long injury lay-off at the Vina del Mar tournament in Chile last February, launching a comeback that included victories in the French and US Opens and took him back to the top of the world rankings.

He was in Argentina last month for exhibition matches against world No 2 Novak Djokovic and retired Argentine former No 3 David Nalbandian's farewell to tennis.

The tournament at the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club from February 10 to 16 is part of the Latin American swing of claycourt events, which also includes tournaments in Chile, Brazil and Mexico.

  • Share: