Roger Federer pulls out of Rogers Cup in Montreal due to back injury
Last Updated: 02/08/13 6:16pm
Roger Federer: Has been having treatment for back injury since Hamburg
Roger Federer has announced that he has pulled out of next week's ATP Masters series tournament in Montreal.
The Swiss ace has been struggling with a back injury since his shock second-round defeat to Sergiy Stakhovsky at Wimbledon, and he has made further early exits to low-ranked players in two clay-court events.
He suffered a 6-3 6-4 defeat to German Daniel Brands in the second round of the Swiss Open in Gstaad last week, after which he admitted the back problem was proving tough to overcome.
"I am disappointed not to be playing in Montreal next week," Federer said on his Facebook page. "It is a great tournament with amazing fans. I look forward to competing there in the future."
Federer, who has been testing a new larger racket since his Wimbledon exit, revealed earlier this week that he first complained of pain in his back last month in Germany, where he lost to world No 114 Federico Delbonis.
"I've had serious problems with the back; I had to get some anti-inflammatories in Hamburg due to the pain," he said.
"I will have to do a lot of exercises and see how it all feels. My main priority now is to fix my back. I would love to be able to train at 100 percent.
"I'll have to see if the rehab is enough to let me play in Montreal. If it is, I'll go; if not, then it gives me another week."
Novak Djokovic will defend his Rogers Cup title in Montreal, while Andy Murray returns to action for the first time since beating the Serbian in the Wimbledon final.
Federer now has just over three weeks to regain full fitness before travelling to Flushing Meadows for the US Open, which starts on August 26.