Juan Martin del Potro withdraws from the French Open due to virus

Last Updated: 22/05/13 9:23pm

  • Share:
Juan Martin del Potro: Argentinian to miss French Open

Juan Martin del Potro: Argentinian to miss French Open

Sky Bet

Juan Martin del Potro has been forced to withdraw from the French Open due to an ongoing viral infection.

The world No 7 from Argentina is the second top-10 ranked player to pull out of the Roland Garros tournament, which starts on Sunday, following world No 2 Andy Murray's decision to bypass Paris because of his back injury.

"This is a tough blow, because these are the events you dream of winning," said Del Potro, who reached the French Open semi-finals in 2009 and the last eight last year.

"This is a tough blow, because these are the events you dream of winning. Now I must get over this disappointment and recover completely in order to prepare at 100 per cent for the tests to come."
Juan Martin del Potro

"Now I must get over this disappointment and recover completely in order to prepare at 100 per cent for the tests to come."

The 24-year-old, who won the 2009 US Open, has already missed the recent tournaments in Madrid and Portugal with the problem.

He returned to action at the Rome Masters last week but bowed out in the third round after losing to France's Benoit Paire.

American duo Brian Baker and Mardy Fish have also pulled out of the French Open and will be replaced in Friday's draw by Joao Sousa of Portugal and Guido Pella of Argentina.

In the women's draw, Chan Yung-jan, Alexandra Dulgheru and Lara Arruabarrena have all withdrawn with Shahar Peer, Tatjana Maria and Nina Bratchikova taking their places.

  • Share:

Related

French Open 2013

Rafael Nadal: Won a record eighth French Open crown

French Lessons

With Wimbledon fast approaching and tennis preparing for front page news, what did we learn from Roland Garros?

Nadal was unstoppable in Paris once again, says Barry

The reign of Rafa

An eighth French Open title confirms Rafa Nadal as the greatest clay-court player ever, says Barry Cowan.

Rafael Nadal: Claimed his 12th major title at Roland Garros

Nadal thanks amazing support

Rafael Nadal thanked his family and team after becoming the first man to capture the same Grand Slam title eight times.

Most Popular

Features

Peter Fleming Q&A

Peter Fleming Q&A

Peter Fleming answers your questions on greatness, John McEnroe and doubles ahead of the US Open.

Fed a frame-changer

Fed a frame-changer

Roger Federer's latest Masters win is reward for bravely changing racquets, says Mark Petchey.

Good week/Bad week

Good week/Bad week

We pick out the winners and losers from the sporting world during the past seven days.