Nadal threatens to quit Madrid
Spaniard says he could not adapt his game to court
Last Updated: 11/05/12 9:37am
Rafael Nadal: Unhappy with blue clay surface at Madrid Masters
Rafael Nadal has intimated he will not return to the Madrid Masters event next year unless the controversial blue clay surface he loathes is modified.
The world No.2 lost his first match of the season on clay, with Spanish compatriot Fernando Verdasco triumphing 6-3 3-6 7-5 in the third round of the tournament.
"If things continue like this, it will be very sad. Next year this will be one less event for my calendar."
Rafael Nadal Quotes of the week
Nadal's perfect record on the dirt for 2012 was marred as Madrid native Verdasco clawed out the opening set to stun multiple Monte Carlo and Barcelona champion Nadal, who, though he dug out the second set, finally succumbed in an error-strewn contest.
"I never was in control of the match, I didn't know how to win a point," admitted Nadal.
"Movement is very important for me and I couldn't move. I couldn't hit ball the way I wanted. I lost because I deserved to lose."
The 15th-seeded challenger rallied from 1-4 down in the third to record his first victory over the king of clay in 14 attempts.
The final set was littered with seven breaks of serve, with a nervous Nadal well off his game and expressed his frustration with the surface.
"I couldn't close out the match at 5-2. He played better than me," said Nadal. "The ATP and the tournament can do what they want, I tried my best, I've trained here since Thursday. I was as prepared as I could be.
"I was not good enough to adapt my game to this court. If things continue like this, it will be very sad. Next year this will be one less event for my calendar."
The Mallorcan now stands 22-1 on clay since losing in the Rome final last year to Novak Djokovic.