Sky Sports Today - October 24
All the latest news, views and analysis from the world of sport.
TODAY'S TOP STORIES
- Spurs step it up in Europe
- Kane nets hat-trick, then goes in goal
- Lamela scores 'rabona' stunner
- Everton earn point in Lille
- Celtic grab important win
- Prem manager press conferences
- Fulham v Charlton (7.30pm SS1)
- Sky Bet weekend football odds
- Watch Sky Sports
- Tweet @SkySportsNewsHQ #SSNHQ
LAMELA'S WONDERGOAL: YOUR THOUGHTSOur Twitter poll asking whether Lamela's rabona goal last night is the best ever is well on the way, and 65% of you think it is so far. Here are some of your thoughts. Keep them coming to us @SkySportNewsHQ using #SSNHQyes or #SSNHQ no.@SkySportsNewsHQ Paolo di canio vs Wimbledon, Denis bergkamp vs Newcastle?
LIVE PERTH INTERNATIONAL
Get yourself over to Sky Sports 4HD now if you want to watch the Perth International... here's the current leaderboard.
FALDO/ POULTER SPAT
Some golf news now and the president of the PGA, Ted Bishop, has called Europe's Ryder Cup hero Ian Poulter a 'Lil Girl' on Twitter after his criticism of Nick Faldo. Bishop then deleted the tweet but, as we all know, if you post something on Twitter it gets around in seconds! And we saw it...(screengrab!). He also apparently said on Facebook that Poulter was like "a little girl screaming at recess" and then deleted that too..
FRIDAY PAPER TALK
Here are a few of the leading football stories making the back pages of today's morning newspapers...
- DAILY MIRROR report that Liverpool's Mario Balotelli has just 68 days to save his Anfield career, or he's off in January.
- Supporters of Torquay are in a right old flap about their club mascot, Gilbert the Gull. The giant seagull has been blasted for swearing at his own fans - and offering them out for a fight.
- THE SUN question the crux of the problem for Balotelli - is it his haircut? According to reports, he spends £500 a week maintaining his mohawk, having it clipped, patterned and dyed five times a week.
- An Alex Ferguson movie is in the pipeline. The idea is the brainchild of former New York Cosmos and USA star Werner Roth.
- And Arsene Wenger has issued a hands-off warning over Arsenal striker Lukas Podolski.
- DAILY EXPRESS say Gonzalo Higuain is ready to reject the opportunity to replace Mario Balotelli at Liverpool and isn't interested in a move to Arsenal either.
- DAILY TELEGRAPH print Bayern Munich's former Chelsea wideman Arjen Robben admitting that "there is not even a one per cent chance" of him returning to play in England one day.
- DAILY MAIL claim Adel Taarabt may have talked his way into the QPR team after his clash with Harry Redknapp after training with the first team on Wednesday.
- Blackpool boss Jose Riga has put pressure on chairman Karl Oyston to strike a deal for Belgian midfielder Jonathan Legear.
COMING UP ON SKY SPORTS...
We've got plenty of live sport for you on Sky Sports today - the weekend starts now for us!
CELTIC STAY TOP
Celtic retained top spot in Group D with a 2-1 win at home to Astra Giurgiu, thanks to goals from Stefan Scepovic and Stefan Johansen in the second half.
EVERTON DRAW IN LILLEEverton were left frustrated with a 0-0 draw in Lille in Group H in a trip marred by fans clashing in the city centre with police. Everton stay top of the group but there will surely be yet more fallout after reports of police using tear gas in the main square.
WAS IT THE BEST GOAL EVER?
Jan Vertonghen seems to think so, but we want to know your thoughts for our poll this morning! Tweet into us @SkySportsNewsHQ using #SSNHQYES/NO.Must be the best goal I've ever seen!! @Coco_Lamela 🙈😱😱🙈 congrats to hattrick Kane as well!!! @hkane28 http://t.co/wIDqqbYr1bOct. 23, 2014
POLL: Jan Vertonghen says Erik Lamela's goal last night is the best he has ever seen. Do you agree? Vote now #ssnhqyes #ssnhqno
LAMELA'S WONDER GOAL
Here it is... provided in a tweet by the man himself! This is Erik Lamela's superb 'rabona' skill to score the first of his two goals in the 5-1 win over Tripolis last night. His second was also brilliant, a fierce, first-time volley from tight angle.Happy with the win, I want to dedicate my goals to my family, my girlfriend and all spurs fans who supported me at all times.
Contento por la victoria, dedico mis goles a mi familia, a mi novia y a todos los hinchas que me apoyaron en todo momento.
#coys #tottenham #spurs #europaleagueby coco_lamela11 via Instagram
KANE GOES IN GOAL
Well you've got to love it when one of your outfield players goes in goal haven't you? It doesn't happen very often! It was probably the last thing Harry Kane was expecting to do after scoring a hat-trick for Spurs and he conceded a late goal with butterfingers from a free-kick!Well that was an eventful night haha! Buzzing to get my 1st hat-trick⚽️Think I need to practice my goalkeeping skills🙈 #butterfingers #COYSOct. 23, 2014
TOTTENHAM STEP IT UP IN EUROPE
Let's begin then with some Europa League reaction from last then and Tottenham ramped up their form with a 5-1 win over Asteras Tripolis at White Hart Lane. In was a memorable night to say the least, especially for striker Harry Kane, who bagged a hat-trick and was then forced to go in goal for the final few minutes after Hugo Lloris was sent-off for rushing out his area and fouling a Tripolis forward as the last man. Kane then fumbled a free-kick into his own net! But the night will be remembered for a momentous goal from Erik Lamela, who used the 'rabona' skill to beat the keeper from the edge of the box!
SKY SPORTS TODAY
Good morning you lovely people. It's Friday, and you know what that means... It's time to start building up to another packed weekend of football from across the divisions. We'll have reaction to last night's Europa League games before hearing from some of the Premier League club's managers, among others. So it begins...