Sky Sports Today - 29 August
Breaking news, views and debate from the world of sport.
TODAY'S TOP STORIES
- Van Gaal targets top four
- Tottenham to face Besiktas, Partizan Belgrade, Asteras
- Celtic drawn with Salzburg, Dinamo Zagreb, Astra
- Everton face Lille, Wolfsburg, Krasnodar
- Villa, Valencia in for Cleverley
- Live transfer updates
- Weekend fixtures
- What's on Sky Sports
- Listen to Sky Sports News Radio
- Next Leeds manager odds
- Tweet us @SkySportsNewsHQ using #SSNHQ
KENT WINKent are into the semi-finals of the Royal London One-Day Cup after a 24-run victory over Gloucestershire at Canterbury. Set 243 to win after bowling the hosts out for 242, the visitors made just 218 themselves. Mark Butcher has just plucked the balls out of the bag for the semi-final draw, which is as follows...Warwickshire v KentDurham v NottinghamshireSam Billings was man-of-the-match for Kent after his 61 from 36 balls
HALF-TIME AT HEADINGLEYIt's half-time in all three Super League games tonight. Here are your scores
- Hull FC 12-0 Hull KR
- Leeds Rhinos 12-2 St Helens - Watch live on Sky Sports 1HD
- Widnes Vikings 14-10 Wigan Warriors
VENUS SINKINGVenus Williams has crashed out of the US Open following a 6-0 0-6 7-6 defeat to Sara Errani.
LIVE GOLFAnd finally, on SS4, to complete your live sport extravaganza on this Friday evening, there is coverage of day one of the Deutsche Bank Championship in Massachusetts. Henrik Stenson is the defending champion and has already carded a one-under 70, but this man is likely to have a say come Sunday..
LIVE TENNISSkip up one channel and you've got some live tennis from the US Open on SS3. On court at the moment, Venus Williams is engaged in an almighty tussle with Sara Errani. It's 5-5 in the third set...
LIVE CRICKETOn SS2, Glocuestershire are 153-6 in pursuit of a target of 243 in their Royal London One-Day Cup quarter-final clash with Kent. they need a run-a-ball over 90 balls.
LIVE SUPER LEAGUEKick-off is less than 10 minutes away at Headingley Carnegie as Leeds Rhinos take on St Helens looking to bounce back from their shock defeat to the London Broncos in their last Super League outing. You can watch the game live on SS1.
TRANSFER BUSINESSYou can follow all the latest transfer business ahead of Deadline Day at our dedicated blog - but the latest big news is that Fernando Torres is on the brink of a two-year loan switch to AC Milan. He'll have a medical tomorrow...
MCCARTHY SIGNSMcCarthy has signed a four-year deal at Loftus Road and joins from Reading for an undisclosed fee..@Alex_Macca23: "I spoke to Harry a few times and that was probably the icing on the cake for me." #WelcomeAlex http://t.co/bf9FjNjuqpHarry Redknapp: "He’s a great young goalkeeper with a great future in front of him." #WelcomeAlex http://t.co/txH9bPAH7YRedknapp: "I think he’s got the potential to be a future @england goalkeeper one day, so to have him here is fantastic." #WelcomeAlex
FROOME GAINS ON RIVALSChris Froome gained two seconds on his rivals but also suffered a heavy crash on a seventh stage of mixed fortunes at the Vuelta a Espana. The Team Sky leader fell inside the opening 40km on the first of the day’s two categorised climbs, requiring him to chase back on to the peloton and then receive bandaging to cuts on his right arm.Although it triggered memories of his crash at the Tour de France, he had recovered sufficiently enough to sprint ahead of the main bunch at the finish in Alcaudete and cross the line two seconds before of all of his fellow contenders for overall victory.Alejandro Valverde finished in the peloton to retain the leader’s red jersey and remains 15 seconds ahead of second-placed Nairo Quintana and 18 seconds in front of third-placed Alberto Contador, but Froome is now just 20 seconds adrift in fourth.
SWANSEA'S NEW MANProud to announce my signing with @SwansOfficial looking forward to the season ahead and the new chapter! http://t.co/kdwtTzMCwXThanks so much to @SpursOfficial and all the players and staff. Fantastic 3 years, now excited for my new chapter!
Swansea sign former Tottenham midfielder Giancarlo Gallifuoco on one-year contract.
RUN CHASE IS ONGloucestershire have begun their reply in the Royal London One-Day Cup quarter-final against Kent at Canterbury. The hosts were dismissed for 242 in 48.3 overs, with Sam Northeast top-scoring with 78. In reply, Gloucestershire are 10-0 from 2.1 overs. You can watch that live on SS2 right now...Sam Northeast impressed with a fine 78 for Kent
TRADING VIEWS PODCAST
Not sure who is worthy of a place in your accumulator this weekend? Sky Sports journalists and Sky Bet traders are on hand with their views and best bets in the latest Trading Views Podcast, while there's also a £25 free bet up for grabs in the weekly competition:
Find Sky Bet's Premier League odds here
POYET STAYING PATIENTGus Poyet will have a better idea whether Sunderland can prosper in the Premier League this season by the time the transfer window shuts. Poyet concedes he needs to make at least a couple of signings before 11pm on Monday and is getting more and more exasperated when news about players he has targeted becomes public knowledge. The Uruguayan has made seven signings this summer but is looking for more options up front, where he has been linked with Liverpool's Fabio Borini and Ricky Alvarez of Inter Milan.
We are trying to get specific players, not anyone, and that's why it's been a little bit more difficult. It's clear for the recruitment system what I want. I think the problem is there is not that quantity. It's not anyone for whatever reason, it's a certain kind of player. You can use the word 'happy', but it's not good enough if we don't because we have a small squad and we need those players.Poyet wants at least a couple of signings in by Monday
Let's have some Hometime Headlines for all you lucky people heading off for your weekend. In tonight's edition, Louis Van Gaal reflects on Manchester United’s title hopes; plus the three British sides in the Europa League discover their group stage opponents. Also, who has given Alastair Cook their backing ahead of the third ODI in Trent Bridge?
SOUTH AFRICA GIVEN A SCAREProsper Utseya took a hat-trick as Zimbabwe gave South Africa a scare before crumbling in match three of the triangular series in Harare. Utseya, who has been reported to the ICC for a suspected illegal bowling action, became only the second Zimbabwean to take three wickets in as many balls in ODIs following Eddo Brandes' feat against England in 1997, but it was not enough to prevent a 61-run defeat for his side.
OPTA FACTSHere are some of the more pertinent facts and stats ahead of the match, courtesy of our friends at OPTA.
- The toss-winner has lost five of the last seven One Day Internationals at Trent Bridge.
- Ian Bell (317 runs at an average of 105.7) needs 83 runs to pass Andrew Strauss (399 at 66.5) as the highest ODI run-scorer at Trent Bridge.
- England have recorded their two largest home ODI run-margin defeats this summer (at Durham ICG against Sri Lanka and at Cardiff against India).
- Alastair Cook needs 14 runs to become the 13th player to score 3,000 ODI runs for England. Of these 13 players he has the fourth highest average and fifth highest strike rate.
- A win in this match would draw MS Dhoni (89 wins in 160 matches) level with Mohammad Azharuddin (90 in 174) as the captains with most ODI wins for India.
- Dhoni needs 76 runs to become the sixth player to score 8,000 ODI runs for India.
- India’s win at Cardiff was their 30th in England/Wales. They have lost 29, meaning they joined Australia, New Zealand and West Indies as overseas teams to have positive ODI records in England/Wales.
- At Cardiff Dhoni and Suresh Raina became the first pair to put on 2,000 aggregate runs for the fifth wicket in ODIs.
- Jos Buttler needs one catch to become the fifth wicket-keeper to take 50 ODI catches for England.
- Buttler’s average of 1.69 dismissals per innings is the third highest amongst wicket-keepers to field in at least 10 innings.