RaboDirect Pro12: Connacht nick late draw in Treviso
Last Updated: 27/04/13 4:01pm
Paul O'Donohoe: late try for Connacht
Paul O'Donohoe's last-minute try salvaged a 23-23 draw for Connacht in Treviso.
The Italian side appeared set to take all the points from an entertaining contest but O'Donohoe crossed after the hooter to pull the score back to 23-21, and Dan Parks added the extras from the conversion to ensure the draw.
Fetu'u Vainikolo had earlier crossed for the opening try of the contest, but Edoardo Gori's effort and a late penalty try appeared to be enough for the Italians until O'Donohoe's dramatic intervention.
The hosts jumped out into an early lead when Connacht infringed at the ruck and Alberto di Bernardo slotted the resulting penalty.
On 20 minutes Vainikolo received the ball from a good lineout catch and gleefully went over to the left of the posts, Parks adding the conversion to hand Connacht a 7-3 lead.
The fly-half missed a penalty in the 31st minute but made amends with another chance four minutes later as the visitors went into the break with a seven-point cushion.
Di Bernardo reduced the deficit with a penalty shortly after the break and within minutes Treviso had their noses in fronts when Gori crossed and Di Bernardo added the extras.
Parks and Di Bernardo traded penalties to take the score out to 16-16, but with 72 minutes gone Connacht's hopes took a setback when they succumbed to pressure at the scrum and conceded a converted penalty try.
The hosts looked set to take the win as the game ticked into added time, but O'Donohoe crossed to pull Connacht to within touching distance, and Parks held his nerve with the extras to bring an end to an enthralling encounter.
Sat 16th May
Cardiff Blues29 - 5Zebre
Connacht20 - 24Ospreys
Edinburgh23 - 36Leinster
Glasgow Warriors32 - 10Ulster
Munster50 - 27Dragons
Treviso13 - 17Scarlets
Fri 22nd May - Semi-final
Glasgow Warriors0 - 0Ulster
Sat 23rd May - Semi-final
Munster0 - 0Ospreys
RaboDirect PRO12 2012/13 Round 19
Ulster will aim to finish at the top of the RaboDirect PRO12 table when they take on Cardiff Blues at Ravenhill.
Connacht say goodbye to their number seven Johnny O'Connor when they take on Glasgow at the Galway Sportsground.
Glasgow fly-half Duncan Weir broke his leg in Friday night's victory over the Ospreys.
- Leinster boost play-off hopes
- Davies stars in Scarlets win
- Ulster bag bonus at Connacht
- Soaring Glasgow claim points
- Forwards seal Treviso win
- Dragons hold off Munster rally
- Scarlets v Cardiff: Teams
- O'Driscoll seals Leinster win
- Ospreys soar into top four
- Cardiff ease past Zebre
- Connacht hold off Edinburgh
- Bowe inspires Ulster romp
- Scarlets see off Glasgow
- Munster v Leinster: Teams
- Cardiff Blues v Zebre: Teams
- Edinburgh v Connacht: Teams
- Scarlets v Glasgow: Teams
- Treviso-Connacht postponed
- Ulster finally win in Dublin
- Ospreys stay in play-off hunt
- Scarlets hold off Dragons
- Glasgow top with Munster mash
- Successive wins for Edinburgh