RaboDirect Pro12: Leinster brush aside Zebre
Last Updated: 21/04/13 5:35pm
Isa Nacewa: on the scoresheet for Leinster
Leinster moved back into second place in the RaboDirect Pro12 with a dominant 41-22 victory over winless Zebre in Italy.
Joe Schmidt's men had taken an early 17-3 lead through Tom Denton and Fergus McFadden touchdowns before the Italian team hit back via Sinoti Sinoti and Daniel Halangahu.
But the visitors controlled the second half and further scores from Fionn Carr, Dominic Ryan and Isa Nacewa boosted their home semi-final chances.
Carlo Festuccia went over late on for the hosts but it was yet another disappointment in a difficult season for the newcomers.
With Ulster and Glasgow Warriors both winning at the weekend, the pressure was on the Dublin-based outfit to be victorious over the bottom placed Pro12 side.
And although Sexton and Halangahu traded early penalties, it was the Irish province who took command of the encounter.
Denton touched down after 10 minutes to take them 10-3 ahead before another try, this time from the winger McFadden, opened up an already substantial advantage.
But to their credit Zebre, who have struggled throughout this campaign, battled back and were level at the break.
Firstly, the lightening quick Sinoti scampered over and then fly-half Halangahu crossed the whitewash.
The fly-half added conversions to both tries and the teams went in locked at 17-17. However, Leinster raised the intensity in the second period and quickly moved away from the hosts, securing the bonus-point in the process.
Sexton initially kicked them into the lead once again, before Carr and Ryan tries took them ahead by 34-17 with a quarter of the game to go.
RaboDirect PRO12 2012/13 Round 19
Ulster will aim to finish at the top of the RaboDirect PRO12 table when they take on Cardiff Blues at Ravenhill.
Connacht say goodbye to their number seven Johnny O'Connor when they take on Glasgow at the Galway Sportsground.
Paul O'Donohoe's last-minute try salvaged a 23-23 draw for Connacht in Treviso.
- Weir injury blow for Glasgow
- Davies stars in Scarlets win
- Ulster bag bonus at Connacht
- Soaring Glasgow claim points
- Forwards seal Treviso win
- Dragons hold off Munster rally
- Scarlets v Cardiff: Teams
- O'Driscoll seals Leinster win
- Ospreys soar into top four
- Cardiff ease past Zebre
- Connacht hold off Edinburgh
- Bowe inspires Ulster romp
- Scarlets see off Glasgow
- Munster v Leinster: Teams
- Cardiff Blues v Zebre: Teams
- Edinburgh v Connacht: Teams
- Scarlets v Glasgow: Teams
- Treviso-Connacht postponed
- Ulster finally win in Dublin
- Ospreys stay in play-off hunt
- Scarlets hold off Dragons
- Glasgow top with Munster mash
- Successive wins for Edinburgh