RaboDirect Pro12: Leinster defeated Cardiff 26-11
Last Updated: 08/02/13 10:31pm
Leinster consolidated their position in the RaboDirect Pro12 play-off places with a 26-11 victory over Cardiff Blues.
Cardiff had been enjoying a home revival of late but the game was effectively over as a contest by half-time and a brave fightback after the break was never going to be enough.
Ian Madigan kicked the visitors into an early lead but opposite number Rhys Patchell cancelled it out in the 13th minute, although he did then miss a long-range effort to put the Blues in front.
Leinster lock Tom Denton was sin-binned following an off-the-ball incident and they were still a man short when Madigan put them back in front with a kick that hit both post and crossbar.
Blues then infringed after a Jason Tovey fumble to allow Madigan to extend the lead and Leinster emphasised their superiority with a try from scrum-half Isaac Boss, who squeezed over from a ruck four minutes before the break.
There was still time for the Irish to cross again though, wing Harry Robinson ruled that he had taken the ball back over his own try-line and from the resulting scrum, number eight Jordi Murphy dived over.
Madigan's conversion gave his side a 20-point lead at the turnaround but Cardiff came out blazing with number eight Robin Copeland making ground into the opposing 22, but the backs were kept at bay.
However, the try came on 50 minutes with Tovey sneaking in at the corner, although Patchell's conversion attempt embarrassingly never left the ground.
The young stand-off did add three points before the hour when Leinster were caught offside, and a Patchell burst briefly raised home hopes only for play to be called back.
Madigan stroked over a penalty on a rare visit to home territory 10 minutes from time and the visitors re-established control as the game petered out, without threatening a bonus point.
RaboDirect PRO12 2012/13
Edinburgh signed off their RaboDirect PRO12 campaign with a 31-24 victory over the Dragons at Murrayfield.
Allan Jacobsen will start his last match in a 16-year Edinburgh rugby career against the Dragons at Murrayfield.
The Scarlets will look to secure their spot in the PRO12 semi-finals when they host Treviso at Parc y Scarlets.
- Zebre v Munster: Teams
- Glasgow v Ospreys: Teams
- Treviso v Edinburgh: Teams
- Connacht battle to Zebre win
- Sweet double for Scarlets
- Ryan lights up Leinster win
- Ospreys grounded by Connacht
- Glasgow drubbing for Dragons
- Ulster back with bonus win
- Connacht v Ospreys: Teams
- Glasgow beat rock-bottom Zebre
- Munster ease past Edinburgh
- Dragons finish with a flourish
- Williams stars for Scarlets
- Ospreys win away at Ulster
- Zebre v Glasgow: Teams
- Munster v Edinburgh: Teams
- Cardiff leave Munster blue
- Connacht ease past Dragons
- Glasgow enjoy Treviso cruise
- Red-hot Ulster crush Scarlets
- Ospreys v Zebre: Teams
- Edinburgh v Leinster: Teams
- Glasgow edge Edinburgh again
- Leinster v Connacht: Teams
- Treviso v Zebre: Teams