RaboDirect PRO12: Dominic Ryan scores hat-trick as Leinster thrash Treviso 40-5
Last Updated: 16/02/13 8:00pm
Flanker Dominic Ryan helped himself to a hat-trick of tries as Leinster thrashed Benetton Treviso 40-5 to move within two points of second-placed Glasgow Warriors in the RaboDirect PRO12.
Hooker Sean Cronin weighed in with a couple of scores and Leo Auva'a also touched down in a comprehensive triumph with the visitors' sole success being an unconverted second half try from Ludovico Nitoglia.
Leinster hit the front on ten minutes; the industrious Ryan reached over in the corner at the end of a long spell of play on the right wing, although Ian Madigan was off target with a difficult conversion attempt.
Number two arrived three minutes later as Cronin ran through on the left side following a couple of outstanding breaks by his Ireland colleagues Luke Fitzgerald and Fergus McFadden and Ryan added his second of the evening midway through the half following a well-orchestrated lineout drive.
Cronin joined him in bagging a brace when he finished off a sweeping move in front of the posts on 27 minutes and, with Madigan converting, the half-time lead stood at 26-0.
Ryan completed his treble six minutes after the restart, opportunistically breaking away from a maul before touching down - Madigan adding a fine conversion from the touchline.
But Treviso stuck manfully to their task and were rewarded with the score that their efforts deserved when wing Nitoglia produced a sharp finish to ground the ball in the right corner at the end of a fine team move.
But it was Leinster who had the final say on 69 minutes, Auva'a, a late call-up to the replacements bench, going over to the right of the posts with Fergus McFadden converting in the absence of Madigan.
RaboDirect PRO12 2012/13
Edinburgh signed off their RaboDirect PRO12 campaign with a 31-24 victory over the Dragons at Murrayfield.
Allan Jacobsen will start his last match in a 16-year Edinburgh rugby career against the Dragons at Murrayfield.
The Scarlets will look to secure their spot in the PRO12 semi-finals when they host Treviso at Parc y Scarlets.
- Zebre v Munster: Teams
- Glasgow v Ospreys: Teams
- Treviso v Edinburgh: Teams
- Connacht battle to Zebre win
- Sweet double for Scarlets
- Ospreys grounded by Connacht
- Glasgow drubbing for Dragons
- Ulster back with bonus win
- Connacht v Ospreys: Teams
- Glasgow beat rock-bottom Zebre
- Munster ease past Edinburgh
- Dragons finish with a flourish
- Williams stars for Scarlets
- Leinster ease past Blues
- Ospreys win away at Ulster
- Zebre v Glasgow: Teams
- Munster v Edinburgh: Teams
- Cardiff leave Munster blue
- Connacht ease past Dragons
- Glasgow enjoy Treviso cruise
- Red-hot Ulster crush Scarlets
- Ospreys v Zebre: Teams
- Edinburgh v Leinster: Teams
- Glasgow edge Edinburgh again
- Leinster v Connacht: Teams
- Treviso v Zebre: Teams