RaboDirect Pro12: Muster score easy win over Edinburgh
Last Updated: 09/02/13 10:21pm
Munster defeated Edinburgh for the fourth time this season with a dominant 30-3 victory in their RaboDirect PRO12 encounter at Musgrave Park.
Man of the match Ian Keatley kicked 20 points, with tries in the final quarter from CJ Stander and Mike Sherry capping off the home win.
A Piers Francis penalty gave Edinburgh an early lead and the Scottish team were only 6-3 behind at the break, but Keatley's right boot pushed the hosts out of sight in the Cork rain after the interval.
Munster opened the second half on the front foot and a third Keatley penalty gave them a six-point buffer after Willem Nel infringed in a scrum.
The showery conditions made for a scrappy encounter and each penalty kick was becoming increasingly important.
Munster's stand-in captain Jamie Coughlan was caught by a high tackle from Rees and Keatley slotted the resulting kick from a central position.
The province's direct style forced further mistakes from territory-starved Edinburgh and a fifth successful strike from Keatley had his side 15-3 ahead by the hour mark.
A sixth followed from the fly-half before a pinpoint Hanrahan pass sent Ivan Dineen scurrying up the right touchline. He kicked ahead for the supporting Stander, who went over unopposed for a 68th-minute converted try.
Munster, who did the double on Edinburgh in the Heineken Cup pool stages, crossed again with five minutes remaining - replacement hooker Sherry scrambling past Netani Talei after an assist from Stander.
RaboDirect PRO12 2012/13
Edinburgh signed off their RaboDirect PRO12 campaign with a 31-24 victory over the Dragons at Murrayfield.
Allan Jacobsen will start his last match in a 16-year Edinburgh rugby career against the Dragons at Murrayfield.
The Scarlets will look to secure their spot in the PRO12 semi-finals when they host Treviso at Parc y Scarlets.
- Zebre v Munster: Teams
- Glasgow v Ospreys: Teams
- Treviso v Edinburgh: Teams
- Connacht battle to Zebre win
- Sweet double for Scarlets
- Ryan lights up Leinster win
- Ospreys grounded by Connacht
- Glasgow drubbing for Dragons
- Ulster back with bonus win
- Connacht v Ospreys: Teams
- Glasgow beat rock-bottom Zebre
- Dragons finish with a flourish
- Williams stars for Scarlets
- Leinster ease past Blues
- Ospreys win away at Ulster
- Zebre v Glasgow: Teams
- Munster v Edinburgh: Teams
- Cardiff leave Munster blue
- Connacht ease past Dragons
- Glasgow enjoy Treviso cruise
- Red-hot Ulster crush Scarlets
- Ospreys v Zebre: Teams
- Edinburgh v Leinster: Teams
- Glasgow edge Edinburgh again
- Leinster v Connacht: Teams
- Treviso v Zebre: Teams