Van der Linde cleared to play
By Katy Richards. Last Updated: July 9, 2007 4:07pm
No further action is to be taken against South African prop CJ van der Linde despite allegations of gouging in the Tri-Nations match with Australia.
The Wallabies won the clash 25-17 at the Telstra Stadium - however the win was marred by an incident in the 65th minute involving Australian flanker George Smith and van der Linde.
The Aussies team management made an immediate request after the game for the incident to be reviewed using video footage.
However after examining the tapes of the clash, citing commissioner Michael O'Leary decided not to take any action in the case, along with two other incidents from the match.
In the Sydney Daily Telegraph, tournament director Peter Rowles told how O'Leary found no reason for Springbok van der Linde to face any further action. He said: "He makes the call and he deemed it was more of a push away than any incident of gouging."
Rowles also confirmed that the matter had been brought to the attention of O'Leary and told the paper: "They wanted to make sure he had a look, which he probably would have anyway, but they didn't provide any other evidence."
He added: "When the citing commissioner looked at it frame by frame, as he has the ability to do, he deemed it not to be a gouge. George also recovered quite quickly."