Bryan Habana among six players omitted due to overseas moves
Last Updated: April 24, 2013 1:12pm
Bryan Habana: Will move to Toulon at the end of the season
Bryan Habana, Morne Steyn and JP Pietersen have been overlooked for South Africa contracts after announcing their plans to play overseas.
Andries Bekker, Juandre Kruger and Zane Kirchner are also omitted from the 15-strong group that has been awarded Springbok contracts for 2013, due to their decision to move to foreign clubs.
SARU CEO Jurie Roux said: "All six of these players were going to receive contracts, but the fact that they have indicated that they have signed with overseas clubs or are planning to do so, has ruled them out of the reckoning."
Eben Etzebeth, Marcell Coetzee, Juan de Jongh, Pat Lambie, Jean de Villiers, Tendai Mtawarira and Bismarck du Plessis are among the players that have agreed contracts.
"We've kept as many of our top players in South Africa as we could by awarding them national contracts, despite the powerful lure of the pound, euro and yen," said Roux.
"We worked hard with the Springbok Management and Sarpa to ensure the best possible deal is placed on the table for the players. A further five contracts are still available and will be finalised in due course.
"Last year provided Heyneke Meyer with an ideal opportunity to see what is needed in the Test arena, and by contracting this group of players, we have secured a core group for 2013. The average age of the contracted group is not very high for Test rugby, which bodes well for the future."
South Africa contracts: Willem Alberts, Marcell Coetzee, Juan de Jongh, Jean de Villiers, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Eben Etzebeth, Francois Hougaard, Pat Lambie, Tendai Mtawarira, Pierre Spies, Frans Steyn, Adriaan Strauss, Flip van der Merwe, Duane Vermeulen.