Ospreys and Wales tighthead Aaron Jarvis ruled out for the rest of the season
Last Updated: 28/11/12 7:49am
Aaron Jarvis: Set to be ruled out for the rest of the season
The Ospreys have revealed that Wales international Aaron Jarvis will miss the rest of the season with a serious knee injury.
The 26-year-old damaged the ligaments in his right knee during the loss to New Zealand at the Millennium Stadium.
And Ospreys head physio Chris Towers told the club's official site: "Aaron suffered a significant ligament injury to his right knee in the Wales v New Zealand game on Saturday. He is going to require surgery and will miss the remainder of the 2012-13 season.
"We are currently in discussions with specialists to establish the best surgical option and timing of the surgery to ensure the best outcome"
Jarvis will join fellow tighthead props Adam Jones and Joe Rees on the sidelines - with Ospreys chief operating officer Andrew Hore hitting out at the current fixture schedule.
"We have now lost three senior tightheads in the space of just a month, which is particularly bad news for us, coming at a time when our resources have already been badly hit through injury and just before our biggest games of the season so far, the back-to-back Heineken Cup matches against Toulouse," Hore said.
"The current season structure sees games in the top European competition go straight into a month of test rugby, and then back into Europe and the Welsh derbies, for a crucial month long period in December and January. Looking at the players we have lost through injury in recent weeks it's clear that the structure isn't working, for the national body nor the regional partners, and it needs to be looked at globally.
"If ever there was a time which perfectly highlights the need for a structured, global season which protects our biggest assets, the players, and increases the value of domestic rugby by ensuring showpiece matches are played with the strongest squad available then this is it."