Reds confirm Ioane deal

Powerhouse winger rejects mega-money offer from Kubota Spears

Last Updated: 05/12/11 6:45am

  • Share:
Digby Ioane: Has committed to the Reds

Digby Ioane: Has committed to the Reds

Sky Bet

Australia winger Digby Ioane has turned down the chance to move to Japan in order to sign a new three-year deal at the Reds.

Ioane had been reportedly offered a $1million-a-year by the Kubota Spears.

However the 26-year-old, who helped Australia finished third at the World Cup and played a key role as the Reds won the Super Rugby title, has opted to remain in Queensland.

Ioane follows James Horwill, Ben Daley, Quade Cooper and James Slipper in committing to Australia and the Reds.

Coach Ewen McKenzie told the official Reds site: "We've been quietly confident Digby would remain in Queensland.

Enigmatic

"He's one of our most popular figures and he has the ability to change games with his enigmatic style of play.

"Digby is a guy who gets a lot of touches every game. He always has the ball in his hands and he has a ridiculous number of game involvements. He gives us a real point of difference."

Ioane is currently in his second spell at the Reds, having made began his career at the franchise before moving to the Western Force in 2006.

The powerhouse winger returned to Queensland in 2008 and has gone on to make 45 appearances for the side, scoring 16 tries.

  • Share:

Related

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

Munster on the rise

Munster on the rise

Stuart Barnes says Munster will be the biggest threat to Leinster’s bid for a third Guinness PRO12 title.

Good Week/Bad Week

Good Week/Bad Week

So much can change in a sporting week and, sure enough, there have been plenty of highs and lows.

NZ-Aus highlights

NZ-Aus highlights

Sign in to watch the best bits from Saturday's massive clash between New Zealand and Australia.