Sharpe in for Vickerman
Western Force lock to face Springboks in Johannesburg
By Simon Dilger. Last Updated: 24/08/08 4:44pm
Sharpe: called up
Australia lock Nathan Sharpe has been called up to replace the injured Dan Vickerman ahead of their Tri-Nations clash with South Africa next Saturday.
Coach Robbie Deans confirmed on Sunday that the 30-year-old Western Force player would fly out to join the side for the match in Johannesburg.
"We've been in contact with Nathan and he'll come across," said Deans.
"I'm not sure what the flight details are yet but hopefully he'll get here as soon as he can."
The call up comes in the wake of a shoulder injury suffered by Vickerman at the end of the first half of Australia's 27-15 victory over South Africa last Saturday.
Centre Berrick Barnes has also been sidelined with a similar injury however Deans said he would be replaced from within the current 28-man squad.
The pair will undergo assessments on the Wallabies' return to Australia to prepare for the series decider against tournament leaders New Zealand in Brisbane on September 13.
Meanwhile, South Africa prop CJ van der Linde and Australian flanker Rocky Elsom have both been cited following Saturday's match in Durban.
New Zealand referee Lyndon Bray penalised Van der Linde eight minutes into the match after he dived head first into an opponent in an attempt to clear him from a ruck.
Elsom was penalised for pulling down Springbok skipper Victor Matfield in a lineout four minutes into the second half.
South Africa Rugby spokesman Andy Colquhoun said the pair had been summoned to a disciplinary hearing on Monday.