Wigan Warriors have opted against offering Stuart Fielden a new contract
Last Updated: September 28, 2012 3:40pm
Stuart Fielden: Leaving Wigan after not being offered a new contract by the Super League club
Stuart Fielden is to leave Wigan after the Super League club opted against offering the experienced forward a new contract.
The 33-year-old, who cost the Warriors world-record transfer fee of £440,000 when he joined them from Bradford in 2006, made 141 appearances in seven years for Wigan.
He played a significant role in the 2010 title triumph which helped him earn an international recall with a place on England's tour of Australia and New Zealand for the Four Nations Series.
"It was a very difficult decision," coach Shaun Wane said. "He has been a wonderful player and a superb role model.
"Now fully fit, Stuart is at the stage of his career where he is looking for a regular place in the side and, with stiff competition for places, we are unable to guarantee that here at Wigan."
A knee injury, followed by a torn pectoral muscle, restricted him to just one game in 2011 while his start against St Helens in the last match of the regular season earlier this month proved to be his farewell appearance.
Wigan chairman Ian Lenagan said: "Stuart Fielden is a unique character - intense, committed, super fit and exemplary in his training effort."