Shoulder charges should be a thing of the past in Super League after ban ratified
Last Updated: 21/02/13 9:37am
Shoulder charges banned from this weekend onwards
The Rugby Football League has confirmed that shoulder charges are banned from Super League with immediate effect.
The sport's International Federation agreed to extend the ban, which had been in place in Australia and New Zealand since last year, worldwide ahead of Friday's World Club Challenge.
RFL could have chosen to delay instituting the ban until the end of the season but, for the sake of uniformity, it will be introduced in Super League and Championship games this weekend.
RFL laws committee secretary Blake Solly said: "We understand the shoulder charge is popular with many people in rugby league but we also have a duty to manage the welfare and safety of players involved in the game at all levels.
"We have contributed to the RLIF's discussions about the shoulder charge and, whilst we believed the challenge should not be banned, we consider that the RLIF board have followed the correct process and allowed each member nation to provide a view on the law change.
"It is right that the RLIF should have ultimate control over issues such as this, and we remain committed to standardising the laws of the game across all nations and competitions."
Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington admitted the move was inevitable but he is not sure how much effect it will actually have.
He said: "The game was moving towards that way and we wouldn't be seen to be simply out on our own.
"To be honest, it wasn't an issue for us either way. Shoulder charges in the game are few and far between. People mistake the shoulder charge for an attack to the head. We don't see it as an issue."