Super League recap: Huddersfield and Dragons are last two 100 per cent teams

By SkySportsPeo.   Last Updated: 12/02/13 5:36pm

  • Share:
Castleford secured a famous 14-12 victory over champions Leeds

Castleford secured a famous 14-12 victory over champions Leeds

Sky Bet

Huddersfield Giants and the Catalan Dragons are the last two remaining Super League teams with 100 per cent records after round two.

The Giants followed up their convincing win over St Helens with a comfortable success over the London Broncos while the 12-man Dragons eased past the pointless Salford City Reds.

Castleford Tigers pulled off the upset of the weekend by toppling champions Leeds Rhinos while Friday's match saw Wigan and Warrington share the spoils in a 17-all draw.

Hull FC picked up their first win of the campaign after beating Bradford Bulls, St Helens returned to winning ways with a hard-fought triumph over Widnes Vikings while Wakefield saw off winless Hull KR.

Huddersfield Giants 34-6 London Broncos

Huddersfield are the early pacesetters in Super League XVIII in the wake of back-to-back one-sided scorelines. Paul Anderson was far from happy with the Giants' performance as the Broncos only trailed by six at half time. Shaun Lunt bagged a brace for the home side while Eorl Crabtree, Craig Kopczak, Brett Ferres and Joe Wardle also scored in a 34-6 success with Shane Rodney London's try scorer.

Catalan Dragons 40-6 Salford City Reds

Catalan Dragons are second in the ladder with two wins from two. The Dragons played virtually the whole of the match with 12 men after Julien Bosquet was sent off for a late and high tackle on Theo Fages. They overcame their man disadvantage with Remi Casty, Steve Menzies, Vincent Duport, Daryl Henderson, Oliver Elima and Shane Millard all crossing the try line.

Wigan Warriors 17-17 Warrington Wolves

Full Time

Sign in to watch Bill Arthur and co analyse the tries and talking points from round two of Super League.

The game of the weekend came at the DW Stadium as two teams with sights on a Grand Final appearance in October saw Wigan Warriors tackle on the Warrington Wolves. Josh Charnley and Ben Flower scored first-half tries for Wigan while Joe Monaghan bagged a brace for the visitors. Owen Farrell cancelled out Richie Myler's second-half try before Lee Briers nullified Matty Smith's drop-goal as the game ended 17-17.

Castleford Tigers 14-12 Leeds Rhinos

Castleford bounced back from their defeat to Warrington with a famous 14-12 success over champions Leeds Rhinos at the newly renamed Wish Communications Stadium. Danny McGuire scored his customary try against the Tigers, but Ian Millward's men would not be denied as Jamie Ellis two late penalties left the Rhinos licking their wounds.

Wigan and Warrington played out a thrilling 17-17 draw on Friday night

Hull FC 28-12 Bradford Bulls

Hull FC's game against the Bradford Bulls finally went ahead on Sunday after their scheduled Friday meeting was postponed due to an accident on the M62 that left many Hull FC players stranded. When the game finally kicked off the Bulls wished it had not as the home side were in control from start to finish. Jason Crookes had the home side ahead early while Shannon McDonnell, Tom Briscoe and Daniel Holdsworth all scored before Matty Blythe pulled a try back. Jay Pitts also crossed the whitewash, but it was the visitors who had the final say through Brett Kearney.

Widnes Vikings 4-16 St Helens

St Helens went some way to avenging their humiliating home defeat to Huddersfield with a gritty 16-4 success over improving Widnes. The game swung the visitors' way midway through the second half when Ben Cross was sent off for a high tackle on Paul Wellens. Jon Clarke was also sin-binned and Saints capitalised on their two-man advantage with Lee Gaskell and Francis Meli scoring his second of the game.

Wakefield Wildcats 36-20 Hull KR

Although a success during his time on the field, Ben Cockayne's five-year spell at Hull KR ended in 2011 when, on his final warning, he was involved in an incident with then team-mate Liam Watts. On Saturday, the former Robin bobbed up to haunt his former employers, running in a late hat-trick of tries to finally seal victory for Wakefield.

The Wildcats triumphed 36-20 but the final scoreline did not do justice to a see-saw battle. Rovers should've known it wasn't going to be their night when they lost Lincoln Withers to a head injury on the opening play of the game, though they fought back from 18-0 down thanks in no small part to the efforts of Australian recruit Cory Paterson, and at one stage only trailed by four. However, Cockayne had the last laugh, meaning Rovers have lost their opening two games in a season for the first time in Super League.

  • Share:


Super League 2013, round two

Stats Pack - Player of the week - Round 2

Brian Carney and Phil Clarke present the Super League Player of the week for round 2.

Stats Pack - Team of the Week - Round 2

Brian Carney and Phil Clarke present the Super League Team of the week for Round 2.

Super league Back Chat - Ep 2

Super League Back Chat - Ep 2

Rod Studd, Mike Stephenson, Chris Irvine and Andy Wilson take an in-depth look at the headlines from the past seven days in rugby league.


Most Popular


Cup final battles

Cup final battles

Ahead of Saturday's Cup final from Wembley we break down where the game could be won.

Super League stats

Super League stats

Who has kicked the most goals this season? Which player is penalised the most? Find out here...

Good week/Bad week

Good week/Bad week

We pick out the winners and losers from the sporting world during the past seven days.