Tetley's Challenge Cup: Leigh Centurions no match for Wigan
Last Updated: 20/04/13 10:10am
Sam Tomkins scored four tries while Josh Charnley and Pat Richards both bagged hat-tricks in Wigan's 60-10 win over Leigh in the Tetley's Challenge Cup.
The in-form Warriors ran in 11 tries in total as they cruised past the brave Centurions and into the draw for the fifth round of the competition.
Leigh, however, did have their moments of success; they crossed twice themselves and might have even broken the deadlock in the opening minutes had Ryan Brierley not unfortunately slipped.
Although Leigh did force a goal-line drop out, their line was breached at the other end of the field after five minutes when Charnley went over out wide.
Richards was unable to add the conversion from close to the touchline but was successful with his kick from the other side of the field after he had touched down in the corner.
Tomkins got in on the act after 11 minutes while Richards' second of the night, which he also converted, made it 22-0 inside a quarter-of-an-hour.
However the Centurions enjoyed a moment of success in attack when veteran Rob Parker scored, the former Bradford and Warrington forward barging his way over from close range.
Martyn Ridyard added the extras and it appeared the plucky underdogs had scored again soon after, only for the effort to be ruled out by the touch judge.
By the break, though, Tomkins had helped himself to a first-half hat-trick with two more tries, the second coming just seconds before the hooter sounded.
Charnley and Richards both followed suit in completing their trebles after the break as the Super League leaders cut loose.
Tomkins was to go one better than his team-mates with a fourth, though perhaps the biggest cheer of the night from the home crowd was saved for when George Williams notched a try that he also goaled.
Leigh, to their credit, continued to battle and were rewarded with the final try of the contest, Brierley hacking on and beating Tomkins to the loose ball.
2013 Challenge Cup fourth round
Allan Hunte praised his four Salford debutants for their part in the 82-6 Challenge Cup win over Gloucestershire.
Halifax, Workington and York have all booked their places in the fifth round of the Tetley's Challenge Cup.
Jon Ford helped himself to a hat-trick of tries in Salford's 82-6 mauling of Gloucestershire All Golds in Cheltenham.
- Cummins praises newcomers
- Smith: No rest for Warrington
- Rampaging Bulls rout Rochdale
- Anderson credits Bulldogs
- Giants battle past Bulldogs
- Ruthless Wolves rout Cougars
- Frayssinous singles out Bosc
- Airlie Birds soar into last 16
- Dragons too hot for Hunslet
- Hemel defence impresses Agar
- Wildcats tear Stags to shreds
- Rea praises Broncos attitude
- Broncos book fifth round place
- Eagles fight back to beat Rams
- Robins knock out 12-man Saints
- Doncaster give Widnes a fright
- Rhinos rally past Tigers
- Keighley v Warrington: Teams
- Hull v Crusaders: Teams
- Rochdale v Bradford: Teams
- Hemel Stags v Wakefield: Teams
- Hull KR v St Helens: Teams
- Sandercock recalls cup magic
- Widnes v Doncaster: Teams
- Rhinos v Tigers: Teams
- Leeds up for Castleford clash