Challenge Cup: Shaun Lunt helps Huddersfield Giants squeeze past Batley Bulldogs
Last Updated: 21/04/13 5:46pm
A quick-fire brace of tries from Shaun Lunt spared Huddersfield's blushes as they saw off brave Batley 13-4 at Mount Pleasant.
The Bulldogs had threatened to pull off a Tetley's Challenge Cup upset for 55 minutes of the contest when they led their Super League opponents 4-0 thanks to a Gareth Potts' score.
However the part-timers were unable to cling on to their advantage, hooker Lunt twice going over to help the Giants book their place in Monday's fifth round draw.
It was yet again a case of so near but yet so far for Batley; they had faced Huddersfield at the same stage of the competition two years ago and led 18-10 before eventually running out of steam, going down 28-18.
Having been second in command to Nathan Brown back then, Giants head coach Paul Anderson took no risks with his team selection as they not only attempted to deal with their fired-up opponents but also a sloping pitch.
They took their time to get to grips with what they were up against, even if it took some some superb last-ditch defending by several Bulldogs stopped Lunt going over.
Instead it was the hosts who finally broke the deadlock two minutes before the break, Gareth Moore's kick to the corner being brilliantly caught by Potts.
Despite having the slope in their favour Huddersfield still had problems finding a way through to the line; Jermaine McGillvary wasted a good chance when the ball slipped from his grasp while Eorl Crabtree was denied from close range.
Eventually, though, Batley were breached by Lunt in the right corner, albeit with Danny Brough's missed conversion keeping the score at four apiece.
Yet he didn't have to wait too long for another attempt at the posts as his own kick was touched down by Lunt for a rapid double that took the England international's tally to eight tries in his last seven matches.
Brough was on target with the extras second time around and although Batley pushed hard in the hope of finding a response, a drop goal and a penalty from the half-back ended their hopes of a cup shock.
Ladbrokes Challenge Cup
2013 Challenge Cup fourth round
Allan Hunte praised his four Salford debutants for their part in the 82-6 Challenge Cup win over Gloucestershire.
Halifax, Workington and York have all booked their places in the fifth round of the Tetley's Challenge Cup.
Jon Ford helped himself to a hat-trick of tries in Salford's 82-6 mauling of Gloucestershire All Golds in Cheltenham.
- Cummins praises newcomers
- Smith: No rest for Warrington
- Rampaging Bulls rout Rochdale
- Anderson credits Bulldogs
- Ruthless Wolves rout Cougars
- Frayssinous singles out Bosc
- Airlie Birds soar into last 16
- Dragons too hot for Hunslet
- Hemel defence impresses Agar
- Wildcats tear Stags to shreds
- Rea praises Broncos attitude
- Broncos book fifth round place
- Eagles fight back to beat Rams
- Robins knock out 12-man Saints
- Doncaster give Widnes a fright
- Warriors waltz by Centurions
- Rhinos rally past Tigers
- Keighley v Warrington: Teams
- Hull v Crusaders: Teams
- Rochdale v Bradford: Teams
- Hemel Stags v Wakefield: Teams
- Hull KR v St Helens: Teams
- Sandercock recalls cup magic
- Widnes v Doncaster: Teams
- Rhinos v Tigers: Teams
- Leeds up for Castleford clash