Oscar Pistorius will not be deserted by commercial sponsors and partners, agent reveals

Last Updated: 18/02/13 7:46am

  • Share:
Oscar Pistorius: will reappear in court on Tuesday

Oscar Pistorius: will reappear in court on Tuesday

Oscar Pistorius will not be deserted by commercial sponsors and partners, the Paralympian's agent has revealed.

The 26-year-old South African, known as the 'Bladerunner', is preparing to mount a vigorous defence against his murder charge following the death of girlfriend and model Reeva Steenkamp.

"On Oscar's behalf, we, as his management company, would like to formally thank the thousands of people who have sent supportive messages which have come from all over the world."
Oscar Pistorius' management company

Peet Van Zyl, from Pistorius' management company, visited his client on Sunday at Brooklyn Police Station in Pretoria and insisted the runner would still be supported.

The company's statement read: "Regarding sponsors and partners, I can confirm that at this point in time, all parties are supportive and their contractual commitments are maintained.

"They have said they are happy to let the legal process takes its course before making any change in their position.

"On Oscar's behalf, we, as his management company, would like to formally thank the thousands of people who have sent supportive messages which have come from all over the world."

Pistorius remains in police custody with an application for bail postponed until Tuesday. Prosecutors intend to pursue a "premeditated murder" charge, while the accused disputes the charge in the "strongest terms".

The agent's statement added: "The nature of my visit was two-fold. On a personal level I wanted to offer my support to Oscar, who I have known and worked with for the last seven years and consider a friend and a great professional athlete.

"Secondly, I wanted to briefly discuss racing matters given that his key focus is defending himself against this serious charge.

"Following these tragic events we have no option but to cancel all future races that Oscar Pistorius had been contracted to compete in, to allow Oscar to concentrate on the upcoming legal proceedings and to help and support all those involved as they try to come to terms with this very difficult and distressing situation."

Pistorius, double gold and silver medalist at the 2012 London Paralympics, was contracted to compete in the Manchester City Games on 25 May, following Qantas Tour races in Australia (9 and 16 March), and meetings in Rio de Janeiro (31 March) and Iowa (26 April).

  • Share:

Related

Oscar Pistorius shooting

Oscar Pistorius at his indictment hearing

Date set for Pistorius trial

South African Paralympian Oscar Pistorius' trial date has been set for 3 March next year.

Oscar Pistorius: Paralympic star ready to return to training according to his agent

Pistorius ready to train again

Oscar Pistorius is ready to return to training but has no immediate plans to compete, says his agent Peet van Zyl.

Oscar Pistorius: His uncle has cast doubt on the prospect of the Paralympian
competing at this summer's World Championships

Pistorius 'will stay at home'

Oscar Pistorius' uncle has cast doubt on the prospect of the Paralympian competing at this summer's World Championships.

Most Popular

Features

Question time

Question time

See what happened when Jessica Ennis-Hill competed in a sports quiz with a difference on Game Changers.

'Amazing experience'

'Amazing experience'

Sam Oldham says his childhood dreams came true when he won a medal at the London 2012 Olympics.

Javelin masterclass

Javelin masterclass

Olympic champion Jessica Ennis-Hill gave a javelin masterclass on this week's Game Changers.