Glorious Goodwood: Encke makes Goodwood comeback
Last Updated: 31/07/14 2:14pm
Encke: Winner of the St Leger two years ago
Views from connections ahead of the Coutts Glorious Stakes at Goodwood on Friday.
The 2012 St Leger winner Encke finally makes his return to action in the Coutts Glorious Stakes at Goodwood on Friday.
The five-year-old was the most high profile of the 22 Godolphin horses banned from racing last year as part of the Mahmood Al Zarooni drugs scandal.
Encke denied Camelot the Triple Crown at Doncaster in September 2012 and makes his comeback in this Group Three contest in the care of Al Zarooni's successor, Charlie Appleby.
Quest For Peace took this prize in 2012 and then won the March Stakes on this track three weeks later before travelling to Australia where he was trained by Peter Moody.
He is now back with Luca Cumani but will have to overcome a nine-month absence.
"It's his first start for a long, long time. He seems in good form and is ready to go," said the Newmarket trainer.
"We'll have to see if he retains his old ability or not. He won this race two years ago, but he's two years older now, so we'll have to see."
Pether's Moon is another with winning course form, having taken a handicap at this fixture last summer.
The Richard Hannon-trained colt has stepped up to Pattern company this term, and has acquitted himself well after having been placed in the Hardwicke and Princess of Wales's Stakes on his last two starts.
"He won here last year, but he has had an unlucky season and deserves to get his head back in front," the Marlborough trainer told www.richardhannonracing.co.uk.
"He has only a neck to find with Hillstar on their running in the Princess of Wales's Stakes at Newmarket, and but for being switched at a crucial stage our fellow might well have won, so we have to go there hopeful. He'll love this fast ground."