Dunne bemoans Oldham draw

Last Updated: 09/08/14 9:02pm

  • Share:
Joe Dunne: Feels Colchester should have won

Joe Dunne: Feels Colchester should have won

Sky Bet

Joe Dunne believes Colchester should have won their curtain-raiser with OIdham after the two sides battled out an entertaining 2-2 draw.

U's debutant George Moncur secured his side a point after Jonathan Forte's brace in his first competitive appearance for Oldham had put the visitors in charge, following skipper Magnus Okuonghae's early opener.

Dunne said: "Territorially I thought that we did enough to go on and win what was a really good, open game.

"It was a real humdinger of an opener.

"We made a wonderful start - we scored from a set-piece, which we felt was an area that we could exploit.

"We got a bit of a deflection in our favour, but it was a good finish from Magnus.

"Oldham finished a lot stronger than us in the first half with the two goals that they scored.

"I was disappointed with the goals that we conceded.

"There was a bit of hesitation from us maybe for the first goal and it was a good finish and we should have dealt with the ball in the area for the second.

"But it was a wonderful response from us in the second half and George (Moncur) played exceptionally well - his goal was a great finish."

Oldham boss Lee Johnson was disappointed his side were unable to hold on for victory, having led at half-time.

He said: "I'm happy with certain aspects of the way the game went for us.

"I don't think it's a bad result us coming here and getting a draw.

"However, we were in a winning position and not to see that through was disappointing.

"At 2-1, there was some poor decision-making from James Wilson.

"But we did score two fantastic goals - it was a great bit of individual brilliance from Forte for the first goal and the second one was a really good move with a lot of passing involved.

"It was really pleasing to see him score two great goals and it was a fantastic way for him to start the season.

"I thought our midfield were excellent and we created some good opportunities.

"There are things for us to look at after this match but generally, there were some positive signs for us and we played some really good football."

Colchester took a seventh-minute lead through Okuonghae, who steered a low shot past Oldham goalkeeper Paul Rachubka after Jabo Ibehre's effort from Craig Eastmond's corner had been blocked.

But Oldham equalised 11 minutes later when Forte, who burst through a hesitant U's defence to slot into the net.

Oldham went ahead five minutes before half-time when Forte finished well from Wilson's assist.

Freddie Sears and Alex Gilbey both went close for Colchester before West Ham loanee Moncur finished from a tight angle, after Sears' shot had struck a post, to ensure the spoils were shared.

  • Share: