Cox waiting on Mansfield trio
Last Updated: 05/06/14 4:11pm
Paul Cox: Early days yet
Paul Cox is still waiting to see if Lindon Meikle, Anthony Howell and Alan Marriott will accept their new Mansfield contract offers.
Cox expects a decision one way or another from all three players by the end of next week, dismissing reports that goalkeeper Marriott had already rejected his new deal.
"Talks are ongoing, but we are in a tough position and I understand they have mortgages to pay and families to feed," the Stags boss told the Mansfield Chad.
"If we can agree something that's within our budgeting remits then brilliant. If not we will move on.
"Alan Marriott is still on holiday so that is all speculation and rumour. But you are going to get that as supporters have no football on a Saturday afternoon and this is an exciting time for them talking about players coming and going. It's part and parcel of the game."
Cox has added defender Luke Jones and striker Alex Fisher to his squad this summer, and on the subject of more new arrivals he said: "I have spoken to a number of players. I have to cast the net wide and make sure I am doing my job.
"It is early days yet. Everyone I am talking to at the minute is talking telephone numbers. At this stage players are still under contract and mortgages are getting paid. But by the end of June when they get the wife nagging them, there is no food in the fridge and the mortgage needs paying, then they will start to cut their cloth accordingly.
"If we can do our business before then, then brilliant. But I have to make sure we do deals that are right for the player and the football club."