Super League: St Helens stay top after big win against Widnes

Last Updated: 25/07/14 11:22pm

  • Share:
Tommy Makinson: Scored a hat-trick in St Helens' win over Widnes

Tommy Makinson: Scored a hat-trick in St Helens' win over Widnes

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

St Helens held on to top spot in the First Utility Super League after cruising to a 44-22 victory over Widnes at Langtree Park.

Saints led 32-0 early on in the second half thanks to tries from Mark Flanagan and Jordan Turner, while Tommy Makinson and Mose Masoe ran in two scores each.

Widnes hit back with three tries in five minutes to make it a contest, before Makinson completed his hat-trick and Willie Manu got in on the scoring, with Rhys Hanbury getting a late consolation try for the visitors.

In the end it was a straightforward win for the Saints but the success may have come at a cost as scrum-half Luke Walsh was carried off on a stretcher with a nasty-looking lower leg injury.

Saints opened the scoring after seven minutes when Walsh sent Flanagan in, with Mark Percival adding the extras and the hosts were soon back on the scoresheet when Makinson gathered Flanagan's kick wide to touch down.

Further pressure told on 28 minutes when Masoe proved unstoppable from close range. He had further to run for the next try, leaving Vikings fullback Hanbury with no chance as he steamrollered his way over. Percival goaled again to make it 22-0.


Vikings then lost back-rower MacGraff Leuluai to the sin-bin after numerous indiscretions just before the interval, and after the break Masoe's offload allowed Turner to put Makinson in under the posts.

Makinson returned the compliment with another neatly taken try three minutes later, but the visitors enjoyed a blistering five-minute spell after Cameron Phelps opened their account.

The Vikings were in again shortly after with a long range move that was again finished off by Phelps. A long delay then followed after Walsh was carried off with his legs strapped together.

When the break ended Widnes went the length of the field with Stefan Marsh racing 80 metres, rounding Paul Wellens and going in under the sticks. Danny Tickle slotted the goal and the score was pegged back to 32-16.

After that Saints managed to stem the flow and ended any hopes of a dramatic comeback by moving the ball well for Makinson to go in at the corner for his third.

Four minutes later the Widnes backline was breached again, with Manu pouncing on an attempted clearance to go over the line.

Hanbury had the last word when his momentum took him over in the dying stages, with Tickle tagging on the goal.

  • Share:


Super League 2014, Round 22

Shaun Wane: Knows the players' attitude was all wrong on Sunday

Wane wants to change attitude

Wigan Warriors head coach Shaun Wane says the team’s attitude was all wrong following their surprise defeat to Bradford.

Weller Hauraki: Facing a possible two or three-game ban

Hauraki facing three-game ban

Castleford Tigers' Weller Hauraki is facing a possible two to three-game ban after being charged by the RFL.

Paul Anderson: Has not given up hope of retaining the League Leaders' Shield

Anderson still eyeing top spot

Huddersfield Giants coach Paul Anderson has not given up on top spot after Sunday's win over Catalan Dragons.

Most Popular


Good Week/Bad Week

Good Week/Bad Week

We take a look back at the past seven days and pick out the heroes and zeroes in the sporting world.

Barrie v Terry

Barrie v Terry

Barrie McDermott and Terry O'Connor go head-to-head with their Super League play-off predictions...

Super League Play-offs on Sky

Super League Play-offs on Sky

The Super League crown is up for grabs as the play-offs get underway on Thursday evening