Shane Mosley pulls out of fight with Anthony Mundine

Last Updated: 23/10/13 10:44am

  • Share:
Shane Mosley: Did not receive full purse before deadline

Shane Mosley: Did not receive full purse before deadline

Sky Bet

Shane Mosley has withdrawn from his scheduled fight with Anthony Mundine due to a contract dispute.

The veteran American was scheduled to face the Australian former world middleweight champion in Sydney on Wednesday.

But Mosley was not paid the remainder of his $1m purse by Monday evening's deadline, and he has now flown back to Los Angeles after pulling out just hours before the weigh-in.

"I'm very disappointed with this turn of events because I was planning on making a big statement by beating Mundine, but I was left with no choice but to withdraw," said Mosley in a statement.

Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer confirmed that Mosley was left with no choice but to pull out after the money due to him under the terms of his contract had not been paid.

Devastated

A devastated Mundine was hoping to secure a lucrative world title fight in the United States after losing an IBF world middleweight belt to compatriot Daniel Geale in January.

"I lay no blame on Mosley. He is just a fighter himself and he just wants to make sure he gets paid," Mundine said.

His manager Khoder Nasser announced that he and Mundine would now head to the United States for negotiations to re-schedule the bout with Mosley.

"We will do all we can to try and bring this promotion back to life in our hands, and we're already in talks with Golden Boy Promotions," Nasser said.

"Anthony is devastated and has waited all his career to fight someone of this stature and someone who has been in the mix with the best fighters over the last five years."

Mosley, a five-time world champion over three divisions, announced his retirement after being beaten on points by light-middleweight champion Saul Alvarez in June last year.

But the 42-year-old returned to the ring in May and scored a unanimous points victory over Pablo Cesar Cano in Mexico to win the vacant WBC international welterweight title.

  • Share:

Related

Most Popular

Features

The Ox's England Team-Mates

The Ox's England Team-Mates

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain tells Soccer AM which England star is the worst dancer and who has the worst wardrobe...

PL Euro stars

PL Euro stars

Which Premier League stars played a key role for their country in the latest round of Euro 2016 Qualifiers?

On Soccer Saturday...

On Soccer Saturday...

Join Jeff Stelling and the boys for another action-packed Soccer Saturday on Sky Sports.