Leinster hooker Richardt Strauss expected to make full recovery following heart sugery
Last Updated: 21/10/13 5:22pm
Richardt Strauss: Expected to make a full recovery following heart surgery
Leinster hooker Richardt Strauss' heart surgery has been deemed a success and he is expected to play top-flight rugby again.
The Ireland international was ruled out for the season earlier this month when medical examinations revealed a heart condition.
There were doubts over whether the 27-year-old would play professionally again, but Leinster manager Guy Easterby says the South African is expected to make a full recovery.
"The good news is that Richardt Strauss had his operation a few days ago," said Easterby.
"We are told he will have no issue at all playing again, which is fantastic. You can never say 100 per cent but it is 99.9 per cent."
"That was a success and he has a recovery time now. The doctors are confident that everything went well and that he will be back playing sometime in the future.
"They are generally not sure (about a return date). It is months rather than weeks because of some of the recovery he has to go through.
"We are told he will have no issue at all playing again, which is fantastic. You can never say 100 per cent but it is 99.9 per cent.
"We won't be rushing him, put it that way. You have to trust medical opinion on this.
"If the doctors feel he is good to go, Straussy is."
Meanwhile, Zane Kirchner could make his Leinster debut in Saturday's Pro12 meeting with Connacht at the RDS.
The South African international arrived in Ireland earlier this month following the conclusion of the Rugby Championship.
Shane Jennings could also feature against Connacht after recovering from a hand injury, but doubts remain over Ireland duo Brian O'Driscoll (calf) and Mike Ross (hamstring).
"Brian is on a day-to-day at the moment," said Easterby. "He is definitely making improvements but it generally is just a day-to-day evaluation of where he is at."