Ashes: Ryan Harris 'on target' for series opener
Last Updated: 24/09/13 7:26pm
Ryan Harris has started bowling again after a hamstring injury and expects to be ready for the start of the Ashes series in Brisbane on November 21.
Harris was Australia's leading wicket taker in England last summer with 24 wickets in four Tests after being overlooked for the series opener.
The Sydney-born seam bowler's efforts failed to prevent Australia going down 3-0, their third Ashes defeat in a row.
Harris, who has been restricted to just 16 Tests in his career by a succession of injuries, limped off on the final day of the series with a hamstring problem.
Australia's leading wicket takers in 2013 Ashes
24 - Ryan Harris
17 - Peter Siddle
11 - Mitchell Starc
9 - Nathan Lyon
7 - James Pattinson
But he has since turned his arm over in the nets and is keen for another opportunity at England's batsmen in his home conditions.
He said: "I had three bowls last week and one yesterday. The hammy that had a twinge at the end of The Oval Test seems to have healed. Everything is going well.
"I had two weeks off bowling and was in the gym getting my strength back up. Everything is on target.
"We're just in the process now of planning how many games I'm going to play and what the process is going to be leading into that first Test.
"There is plenty of cricket between now and then which is great, I've got a good chance to bowl lots of overs."
Australia coach Darren Lehmann called England's style of cricket "dour" - but Harris refused to be drawn on the issue.
"Darren likes to have his opinion. That's what he's like and he's always going to do that. That's the person he is," said Harris.
"I'll stay and let him keep doing that. He can take care of all the controversial stuff."