Super League: Hull FC crushed Widnes Vikings with 72-10 win at the KC Stadium

Last Updated: 02/08/13 10:40pm

  • Share:

Sky Bet

Challenge Cup finalists Hull FC halted their poor run of form in Super League with a comprehensive 72-10 success over the Widnes Vikings at the KC Stadium.

The Black and Whites, who beat Warrington in last weekend's semi-final, cemented eighth spot in the standings courtesy of a 12-try display that included doubles from Tom Briscoe, Jamie Shaul and Australian youngster Jacob Miller.

Cameron Phelps and Kevin Brown scored first-half tries for the Vikings, but Denis Betts' men were blown away in the second half as Peter Gentle's men romped to their biggest win of the season.

Hull hit the front early on as Daniel Holdsworth picked up the pieces from a Kevin Brown knock-on and raced 80 metres to score against the run of play, before Danny Tickle converted his score.

Widnes hit straight back as an Airlie Birds' error from the restart gave Patrick Ah Van the chance to neatly drop-off Phelps for the score in the corner. Jack Owens failed with the conversion.

Owens was taken off the field for Widnes with a nasty looking head injury before Hull forced a drop-out with a Miller grubber kick. From the restart Hull probed and they went over in the left corner with Briscoe after excellent hands.

In the 26th minute Widnes levelled the game with Brown touching down Joe Mellor's grubber kick. The game was not level for long though after Gareth Ellis picked off an interception and after finding Miller, the Australian supplied Yeaman for the finish in the corner. Tickle converted.

Rampaging run

Just after the half-hour mark Briscoe's rampaging run set up Shaul who shot through the line to score from 40 metres out, and Tickle added the conversion.

Shaul added another moments later, showing great support play as he latched onto Whiting's break to grab his second, and give Hull an 18-point lead.

An error from Widnes at the start of the second period gave Gentle's men the chance to further extend their lead. Back-to-back penalties followed and Hull added to their lead with a Tickle penalty goal.

In the second period a great long break from Briscoe was supported by Miller, who then finished off the try in style with a diving finish in the corner to complete a 60-metre two man effort.

Miller was at it again when he broke downfield exposing some tired Vikings defence, and after passing to Shaul the full-back returned the favour to put Miller in for his second.

Briscoe scorched in for his second try as he showed great pace to out run Rhys Hanbury. Whiting added to the Vikings' misery when he span in the tackle to bring up the 50-points for Hull, before Aaron Heremaia, Joe Arundel and Mark O'Meley added late scores.

  • Share:


Super League 2013, round 23

Richie Myler: 'Tweaked' his knee in Sunday's come from behind success over Castleford Tigers

Myler told to stay optimistic

Tony Smith has told Richie Myler to be optimistic after he 'tweaked' his knee on his comeback against Castleford.

Josh Charnley (right): Terry feels one of his scores should have been chalked off

Another block buster

Terry O'Connor reflects on more shoulder barge controversy in Super League and a Cas thriller.

Tony Smith: Praised Warrington after they fought back to beat Castleford 40-30.

Smith hails team character

Warrington coach Tony Smith praised his side's fight following their 40-30 victory at Castleford.

Most Popular


Sky Cricket Podcast

Sky Cricket Podcast

Jacques Kallis and VVS Laxman join us to look ahead to the IPL and reflect on their stellar careers.

The all-new World Cup

The all-new World Cup

Fifty-over cricket was reborn in 2015 as records tumbled. Benedict Bermange charts the evolution...

Tim's World Cup A-Z

Tim's World Cup A-Z

Sky Sports News HQ reporter Tim Abraham has spent the last seven weeks in Australia. Here's his A-Z...