Tetley's Challenge Cup: Hull FC stun Warrington to set up a final against Wigan Warriors

Last Updated: 29/07/13 6:44am

  • Share:

Sky Bet

Hull FC held off a late Warrington Wolves fight back to upset the odds and secure their place in the Tetley's Challenge Cup final courtesy of a 16-12 success.

The Wolves raced into an 8-0 lead before the Black and Whites hit back to hold a two-point advantage at half time thanks to scores from Tom Lineham and Richard Whiting.

Aaron Heremaia extended Hull's advantage in the second half and while Ben Currie pulled one back for Warrington late on last season's winners were unable to find another score.

Warrington threatened first, but Ben Westwood's effort to Joel Monaghan was deemed a forward pass after Lee Briers' neat short-ball helped set up the break.

Winger Monaghan was not to be denied in the sixth minute when he touched down in the right-hand corner. Hooker Mickey Higham's ball sent Westwood clear and this time the Australian winger would not be denied.

Second try

Tony Smith's men doubled their lead when Trent Waterhouse, via the nod from the video referee, was first to the ball from Stefan Ratchford's grubber kick early in the tackle.

Just when it looked like the Wolves might turn the screw Hull responded with a break-away try. Chris Bridge's kick out wide was superbly collected by Lineham who beat Ratchford to the try line.

Hull moved themselves in front on their next set when, aided by a penalty for a ball-strip on Danny Houghton, stand-in full-back Whiting crossed the whitewash after he collected Daniel Holdsworth's pass.

Both teams squandered opportunities to score further tries in the half to ensure Hull led 10-8 at the break with Danny Tickle's solitary conversion the difference.

Warrington came close to retaking the lead four minutes into the second half, but this time the video referee deemed Waterhouse was unable to get the ball down in goal.

Inch perfect

The Wolves then found themselves eight-points down when Holdsworth's grubber kick was inch perfect for substitute Aaron Heremaia, who touched down under the sticks leaving Tickle with a simple conversion.

A brilliant piece of skill nearly brought Warrington back into it. Briers' kick was collected by Joel Monaghan who broke away. His inside ball found Westwood, but with the line beckoning Higham knocked on in trying to collect the bouncing ball.

Winger Chris Riley came within a whisker of scoring for the Wolves, however, he was unable to maintain control of the ball the video referee adjudicated while trying to score in the corner.

Hull attempted to see the game out only for Riley to intercept and give Warrington excellent field position. This time Smith's men made no mistake with Ben Currie forcing his way over from close range.

Despite a frantic last minute of the game where Warrington peppered Hull defence it was the team from East Yorkshire who progressed when Jacob Miller knocked the ball out of play as time expired.

  • Share:


2013 Challenge Cup semi-finals

Peter Gentle: Our medical staff worked wonders

Gentle hails medical staff

Hull FC coach Peter Gentle praised Daniel Holdsworth after they reached Wembley with a 16-12 victory over Warrington.

Shaun Wane: Delighted with Wigan effort

Wane delighted by Wigan rout

Wigan head coach Shaun Wane was 'ecstatic' after his side cruised into the Challenge Cup final.

Pat Richards: Scored 30 points in Wigan's emphatic 70-0 success over the London Broncos

Wigan put Broncos to the sword

Wigan Warriors booked their place in the Tetley's Challenge Cup final following a 70-0 success over the London Broncos.

Most Popular


Beefy hails Hales

Beefy hails Hales

Sir Ian Botham backs Alex Hales to make a huge impact in England's five-match ODI series with India

US Open preview

US Open preview

Tim Clement offers up his in-depth preview of the US Open and reveals who he is backing.

Kevin Davies' Blog

Kevin Davies' Blog

Kevin Davies blogs on the news that hot-shot striker Joe Garner has committed his future to Preston.