Super League: Warrington beat Hull KR to extend winning run

Last Updated: 21/07/13 6:19pm

  • Share:
Mike Cooper: Ran in second half try for Warrington

Mike Cooper: Ran in second half try for Warrington

Sky Bet

Warrington raced away in the second half to beat Hull KR 34-6 at the Halliwell Jones Stadium and claim their eighth straight victory.

Rovers, who were themselves on a winning run of five games, failed in a bid to climb above Catalan Dragons into fifth spot in the Super League standings.

It still looked a possibility at half-time with the Wolves fortunate to be 12-6 ahead through from tries from Brett Hodgson and Mike Cooper, who both went over early on before Jordan Cox replied for Hull KR.

But the Wolves took the game away from their opponents after the break with four unanswered tries, two from Ben Currie and one each from Chris Riley and Michael Monaghan.

Warrington, who face Hull FC in the Challenge Cup semi-finals next Sunday, rested skipper Adrian Morley, Ben Westwood, Stefan Ratchford, Paul Wood and Simon Grix, with Richie Myler and Ryan Atkins injured.

And their opponents were on top early on as Travis Burns just failed to reach a Craig Hall kick after the half-back had started the move with a superb pass.


It was Warrington who went in front, though, following a strong burst by Garreth Carvell, with Chris Bridge's kick bouncing kindly for Hodgson to touch down after six minutes and the full-back added the conversion to his own score.

The Wolves stretched the advantage to 12 points in the 13th minute when Cooper blasted through Constantine Mika's tackle.

Burns' pass allowed Cox to round Hodgson to go over and reduce the deficit, with Michael Dobson converting to score for his 13th match in a row against Warrington - a run stretching back five years.

Josh Hodgson and Burns both had tries disallowed to leave Warrington clinging to their 12-6 lead at the interval.

But the Wolves took control after the break and after a number of near misses, Lee Briers sent Currie over in the corner after a Bridge breakaway.

Greg Eden was stopped by Currie and Briers as Rovers attempted to fight back but a solo try from Riley 17 minutes from time calmed Warrington's nerves.

Rovers' hopes were well and truly dashed when Lincoln Withers missed a vital tackle to allow Monaghan to scamper over near the posts, and Currie bagged his second try six minutes from time as Rovers ran out of steam. Brett Hodgson finished with four goals, while Briers slotted over one.

  • Share:


Super League 2013, round 22

Kevin Sinfield: Back to boost the Rhinos

Wildcats v Rhinos: Teams

Leeds welcome back England captain Kevin Sinfield in Friday's re-arranged Super League game at Wakefield.

Darrell Griffin: Pleaded guilty to grade C offence

Salford players handed bans

Three Salford players have been given bans in the wake of Friday's stormy Super League game against Catalan Dragons.

Shaun Wane: One eye on Saturday's Challenge Cup semi-final

Wane defends resting quartet

Wigan coach Shaun Wane defended his decision to field a weakened side despite suffering a 22-16 defeat to St Helens.

Most Popular


On Soccer AM...

On Soccer AM...

Tubes meets Steven Gerrard, while Roger Johnson, James Anderson and Anatol Yusef are on set.

Phillips: Defence Gus' priority

Phillips: Defence Gus' priority

Sunderland showed fight against Arsenal but need solid defence to profit at Palace, says Kevin Phillips.

Beagrie: Coaches not at fault

Beagrie: Coaches not at fault

Peter Beagrie says the outgoing coaches at Birmingham, Leeds and Blackpool are not to blame for the clubs’ plights.