Super League: Wigan Warriors run riot over Catalans Dragons

Last Updated: 08/03/13 11:18pm

  • Share:

Sky Bet

Wigan Warriors made it three wins in a row in emphatic fashion as they handed out a demoralising 38-0 hammering to the Catalans Dragons at the DW Stadium.

Both teams sat on the same number of points just behind Super League leaders Huddersfield before the game, but there was a clear gulf in class as the French side failed to even get on the scoresheet.

After a scoreless 20 minutes, Wigan went on to run in seven tries - two of them for Pat Richards to take him beyond the 150-mark on his 200th Wigan appearance.

Blake Green, Jack Hughes, Chris Tuson, Sam Tomkins and Greg Burke also crossed the whitewash for Wigan, while Richards also hit five successful kicks to bolster the margin of victory.

The Dragons even had Oliver Elima sent to the sin bin seven minutes from time to add insult to injury as the team tumbled down the table into sixth from third.

After winning the initial arm wrestle, Wigan never looked back after taking the lead after 21 minutes when Green went in after Tomkins' kick through bounced into the hands of Tuson, who offloaded for Smith to send his half-back partner over.

Michael McIlorum won his side a clever penalty inside the Dragons half and after receiving another set of six Wigan crossed for the second try as Tuson steamed onto a ball from O'Loughlin, with Richards adding the extras.

The home side's third try quickly followed as quick thinking from O'Loughlin presented a try for Hughes. Tomkins' initial kick was spilled by Daryl Millard and O'Loughlin swooped on the ball before passing off the floor for his centre to walk over.

The hosts needed just three minutes of the second half to register their fourth try as they turned defence into attack. A wayward ball from Millard was intercepted by Richards and the winger raced 95 metres to score his landmark try for the team, before adding the extras.

The game ended as a contest on 51 minutes when Tomkins crossed in the corner for a 28-0 advantage as Richards missed his first attempt of the night - but he redeemed himself moments later when he collected a fine kick from Green to get his second try of the night.

It was definitely a night to forget for the Dragons - Blanch failed to get on the end of a clever Pryce kick in one of their rare attacks.

In the final 10 minutes Eloi Pelissier looked to have put a fair hit on Tomkins but his team-mates took offence and a melee followed. When it had calmed down referee Phil Bentham showed Elima a yellow card, although it was unclear what for.

A strong Wigan performance was capped in the final three minutes when youngster Burke went over in the corner for his first Super League try - Richards converting to complete the scoring.

  • Share:


Super League 2013, round six

Kirk Yeaman: Out for six weeks

Yeaman injury blow for Hull

Hull FC star Kirk Yeaman has been ruled out for six weeks because of a broken thumb.

Danny Brough: ran the show as the Huddersfield Giants put the Leeds Rhinos to the sword

Super League recap

Huddersfield returned to winning ways while there were also wins for Wigan, Saints, Hull FC and KR.

Peter Fox: Scored opening try for Wakefield Wildcats

Wakefield grab late draw

A late drop goal from Paul Sykes earned Wakefield a dramatic 23-23 draw with Salford at the Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

Most Popular


NZ's Road to the final

NZ's Road to the final

New Zealand have swept all before them en route to their first ever World Cup final – here's how.

Premier League-bound?

Premier League-bound?

Ronaldo and Bale to the Premier League? We look at this summer's biggest potential transfers.

Tim's World Cup diary

Tim's World Cup diary

Sky Sports News HQ's Tim Abraham on World Cup semi-finals and new found love for 'The Doggies'...