Alistair Cook demands response from England after dismal defeat in 3rd ODI
Last Updated: 20/01/13 7:00am
Alastair Cook: Called for a response from his beaten side
Alastair Cook admitted his side let their standards slip in the seven-wicket defeat by India in the third one-day international.
The tourists now trail 2-1 in the five-match series as their disappointing total of 155 was reached by India in just 28.1 overs in Ranchi.
"We've got the potential to do well out here, but we are not doing it out in the middle at the moment."
Joe Root top scored with 39 and the last four wickets fell for just 10 runs, while James Tredwell's two wickets came too late to slow India's march to victory.
Cook was disappointed with his team's performance and has called for a response in Wednesday's match in Mohali.
"150 was nowhere near enough on that wicket," said Cook. "We were not going to defend that unless it was a freak day.
"We tried our hardest in the field but the damage had been done. What's a concern and frustrating is that we didn't get out to many attacking shots, they were defensive shots.
"We've got the potential to do well out here, but we are not doing it out in the middle at the moment.
"The ball probably skidded on nicer in the second innings and we knew that would happen."
England need to win in midweek to keep the series alive and Cook said: "At the beginning of the series we knew we needed to win three games.
"We are still in it but we have to regroup and look deep in the dressing room and produce a better performance in Mohali."