Dominant Alvarez stops Lopez
Mexican retains WBC light-middleweight title with ease
Last Updated: September 16, 2012 10:27am
Saul Alvarez (L): Was in dominant form against Josesito Lopez
Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez retained his WBC light-middleweight title with a dominant fifth-round stoppage of Josesito Lopez at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas.
The 22-year-old Mexican took command from the start and continually trapped Californian Lopez on the ropes, landing multiple punch combinations that led to knockdowns.
Alvarez floored Lopez with a left hook to the body in the second round before again sending him to the canvas in the third and fourth.
His relentless combinations eventually forced referee Joe Cortez to step in with five seconds left in round five, handing Alvarez his 37th straight win and improving his record to 41-0-1.
"I am very happy with what I showed today. In boxing you are always learning and I still have a lot to learn. But I will be better next time," Alvarez said.
He added: "Josesito has a big heart and is very brave, but I came in and did what I had to do and finished business. I'm not usually looking for the knockout, but tonight it was perfect."
Lopez, who claimed a shock win over Victor Ortiz earlier in the year, was bleeding from his nose and mouth by the time the one-sided fight ended.
"He proved that he's the better fighter. I felt good going in, but his size is pretty good," Lopez said.
"There was a big difference. He's a smart fighter. I was hoping to land some punches, but he was smarter, stronger and patient. I was looking for a good punch to change the momentum."
On the undercard, IBF bantamweight champion Leo Santa Cruz retained his title by stopping two-time world champion Eric Morel in the fifth round.
Daniel Ponce De Leon also claimed the WBC featherweight belt by taking a unanimous decision from former champion Jhonny Gonzalez.