The chief bods at Football Manager have conducted an experiment to explore how transfer targets would fare with their potential suitors.
Last Updated: 31/08/12 4:37pm
Michael Owen: Future still to be decided
With transfer deadline day upon us, a number of big names could bet set to move as clubs look to strengthen their squads ahead of the tough season ahead.
The analysts at Sports Interactive, makers of Football Manager series, have used Football Manager 2012 to simulate what could happen if these deals go through, or to provide an alternative to deals that are already complete.
Owen is one of the more illustrious free agents still without a club. Stoke have been heavily linked with the England international and are odds-on with online betting company Sky Bet.
What if... Michael Owen joins Stoke - 4/9 at Sky Bet
- Makes 37 appearances, with 26 league starts, scoring eight goals.
- Stoke finish seventh.
- Forms a good partnership with both Peter Crouch and Kenwyne Jones.
- Man of the Match performance as Owen bagged a brace in a 4-2 win against QPR to send Stoke on an eight-game unbeaten run.
What if... Owen joins Aston Villa - 5/1
- Starts 12 matches, with 13 substitute appearances.
- Scores six goals.
- Villa finish in 15th place.
- Injured for two months of the season.
- Scores key goals in games v Manchester United, Liverpool and Everton.
With there seemingly being more chance of discovering life on Mars than Kaka getting a run of games in the Real Madrid first team, rumours have been circulating of a transfer being completed. Former club AC Milan are currently frontrunners to seal his signature.
What if... Kaka joins Milan - 1/3
- Milan finish fifth.
- Kaka makes 42 appearances, scoring an impressive 13 goals.
- Scores on debut.
- Milan win the Coppa Italia, with Kaka netting the winner in the final v Juventus.
What if... Kaka joins Tottenham - 7/1
Tottenham finish second.
Kaka is top scorer with 11 goals.
Creates five assists.
Combines well with Bale, Lennon and Parker.
The outcast Manchester United man looked set for a move to Fiorentina earlier this week, but at the last minute decided to join Fulham. How would he fare if he had decided on a move to Serie A or Zenit St Petersburg, who were also interested in the Bulgarian.
What if... Berbatov joined Fiorentina?
- Suffers an injury that rules him out for three months.
- Bounced back well with 11 goals in 25 starts
- Fiorentina finish ninth in Serie A.
What if... Berbatov joined Zenit?
- Average match rating of 7.31
- Makes 47 appearances, scoring 21 goals
- Zenit finish fifth.
- Awarded best foreign player at end of Russian season.
Andy Carroll's future at Liverpool has been a feature of this year's summer transfer window and was only resolved on the eve of deadline day. West Ham snapped up the England striker on loan, but what would have happened if he had gone elsewhere?
What if... Carroll returned to Newcastle?
- Newcastle split up Ba and Cisse partnership.
- Ba, Cisse and Carroll all start 25+ games.
- Carroll notches 15 goals.
- Newcastle finish 13th.
What if... Carroll joined Tottenham?
- Tottenham finish third.
- Starts five matches.
- Scores two Premier League goals.
- Hands in a transfer request a the end of the season.