Williams rubbish Senna rumour

"We are not replacing anybody," says Wolff

Last Updated: 28/05/12 5:00pm

  • Share:

Sky Bet

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds

Bruno Senna's seat at Williams is secure despite rumours suggesting he could be replaced by reserve driver Valtteri Bottas in the near future.

THE ONLY PLACE TO BE

Sky Sports F1 HD is THE only place to watch the 2012 Formula 1 season in full live. Our extensive coverage continues with the Monaco Grand Prix on 24 -27th May.
THURSDAY 24th - P1 from 8.45am. P2 from 12.45pm
SATURDAY 26th - P3 from 9.45am. Q from 12pm
SUNDAY 27th - Race from 11.30am
To find out all the different ways to watch the action, click here

The fortunes of Williams' drivers could not have been more varied at last week's Spanish Grand Prix: while Pastor Maldonado claimed his first Formula 1 victory - and the team's first since 2004 - from pole position, Senna crashed out of the race having also spun out of qualifying.

While Maldonado now has 29 points - 25 of which came from Sunday's win - Senna has bagged 14 so far this season.

The difference between the pair is more stark on Saturday afternoons, with Maldonado having now outqualified his Brazilian team-mate four times out of five.

Bottas has also caught the eye during his Friday practice appearances by setting faster times than Maldonado in three of the four sessions he has so far taken part in.

The 22-year-old Finn, who won the GP3 title in 2011, is taking part in 15 sessions for Williams this season and set the fifth fastest time in FP1 at the Circuit de Catalunya.

However, according to board member Toto Wolff, he will not be promoted to a race seat anytime soon.

"We are not replacing anybody," Wolff told Autosport.

"We have contracts with two drivers, and we are supporting our drivers as much as we can and as well as we can.

"The decision to take on Bruno and Pastor was a very carefully taken one and we will push on - not do some knee-jerk exercise."

Wolff added: "With Valtteri, we are going through a development school and the decision to run him on Fridays was very carefully decided.

"We are not going to burn him up either by putting him in a situation that we think is not appropriate. So the rumours are rubbish."

  • Share:

Related

F1 Transfer Gossip

Alonso angered by rumours

An angry and frustrated Fernando Alonso has questioned the motivation of reports in Italy claiming that he is considering a blockbuster switch to Red Bull.

Sergio Perez: Very close to new Force India deal

Perez 'very close' to new deal

Sergio Perez says he is “very close to committing” to Force India for 2015, but admits anything could happen.

Wehrlein named Merc reserve

Mercedes have named 19-year-old DTM race winner Pascal Wehrlein as their reserve driver from this week's Singapore GP.

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

Ryder Cup Countdown

Ryder Cup Countdown

Sam Torrance, Colin Montgomerie, Butch Harmon and Tony Jacklin preview the big showdown.

Carragher: Which Blues are best?

Carragher: Which Blues are best?

Jamie Carragher reveals which Man City wizard and which Chelsea talisman he would have in his team.

A battle 'Royal'

A battle 'Royal'

Nasser Hussain and Nick Knight rate Durham and Warwickshire ahead of the One-Day Cup Final.