Injured Lamont carried off

Warriors player taken to hospital for precautionary scan

Last Updated: 26/12/11 9:37pm

  • Share:
Rory Lamont: stretchered off after incident in 35th minute at Murrayfield

Rory Lamont: stretchered off after incident in 35th minute at Murrayfield

Sky Bet

Glasgow Warriors and Scotland back Rory Lamont was taken from the field on a stretcher during the Boxing Day fixture with Edinburgh at Murrayfield.

Lamont required lengthy treatment after landing awkwardly following a mid-air collision with Edinburgh flanker Ross Rennie and he was taken from the field on a spinal board wearing a neck brace.

The incident happened in the 35th minute of the match, with the score tied at 10-10.

The 29-year-old was making his third appearance in his second spell with the Warriors following his second debut in the Heineken Cup win over Montpellier on December 11.

Lamont was conscious in the treatment room and taken to hospital for a precautionary scan on a head knock.

"He's at hospital for a check. He got a bang to his face and I don't know any more about that," said Glasgow head coach Sean Lineen.

Number eight Johnnie Beattie also limped off for Glasgow with a knee injury, while prop Ryan Grant had an ankle problem and went off in the first half.


The match went on to finish 23-23, leaving Lineen frustrated at the Warriors' slow start.

"First half wasn't great. Again. We didn't start well, our discipline was poor and we hung off them in defence," he said.

"At times it wasn't pretty but we scrambled and hung in there.

"At the beginning of the second half the momentum was with Edinburgh.

"We dug back and we could've won the game at the end there. We didn't."


Edinburgh head coach Michael Bradley was upbeat despite the draw, with the teams set to meet at Firhill on New Year's Day.

"Glasgow are nine points ahead of us in this league and deservedly so," he said.

"They weren't going to give up easily. A couple of things went our way at the start of the second half and then they did what they do, which is kept the pressure on us, and we weren't able to close out the game.

"The two tries we got in the second half were exceptional work by the boys and for Tim (Visser) to get the call on the TMO was great.

"Glasgow, as we knew, came back at us and we just weren't able to control the last 20 minutes. They were very dominant in the last 20 minutes and kept us under pressure.

"With a couple of minutes to go it was looking difficult for us and they had two kicks to win it.

"From 20 minutes out I was delighted with a potential win and with two minutes to go I was happy enough to get a draw."

  • Share:


Related Profiles

Most Popular


Carragher blasts owner Ashley

Carragher blasts owner Ashley

Jamie Carragher has questioned why Mike Ashley wants to own a football club if he just wants to make money.

Nev: Chelsea were like champions

Nev: Chelsea were like champions

On The Gary Neville Podcast, the Sky Sports pundit compared Chelsea's side with their 2005 title-winning squad.

Pepe for Modric?

Pepe for Modric?

Carlo Ancelotti should consider playing Pepe in midfield against Atletico, says Guillem Balague.