KP sorry for Twitter rant

England batsman apologises for reaction to being dropped

Last Updated: 02/09/10 11:44am

  • Share:

Sky Bet

Kevin Pietersen has apologised for his foul-mouthed response to being left out of England's T20 and one-day squads.

SKY SPORTS ON SKY From football to fishing and everything in between, including cricket, rugby, golf and tennis - there's some amazing coverage coming up on the five Sky Sports channels. Plus, with the launch of Sky Sports News HD this summer, all five channels will soon be available in stunning high definition, only with Sky. Click here for more

"It was something that wasn't meant for the public domain and I apologise for it entering the public domain and I also want to apologise for the language I used."
Kevin Pietersen Quotes of the week

Pietersen broke news of the selectors' decision ahead of the official announcement by posting a message on his Twitter page.

The tweet, which was deleted within minutes, read: "Done for rest of summer!! Man of the World Cup T20 and dropped from the T20 side too.. Its [sic] a **** up!!"

Pietersen will now play the remainder of the season at Surrey as he attempts to win back his place in the England squad after the ECB brokered a loan deal between the London outfit and the batsman's parent county, Hampshire.

The South African-born batsman admitted he published the message by mistake and apologised for his comments ahead of his Surrey debut against Worcestershire on Wednesday.

"It came out in the way that I didn't want it to come out," Pietersen told Surrey TV.

"It was something that wasn't meant for the public domain and I apologise for it entering the public domain and I also want to apologise for the language I used."

Criticism

The 30-year-old went on to say that he had apologised to a number of figures within the England hierarchy about the tweet, which drew criticism from senior figures within the game including former England skipper Michael Vaughan.

"It was a mistake that the tweet went out there," Pietersen continued.

"It wasn't anything against the England selectors or the England set-up.

"I was pretty upset about my own form and frustrated about it too.

"I have spoken to the coach (Andy Flower) T20 captain (Paul Collingwood) chair of selectors (Miller) and the managing director of English cricket (Hugh Morris) and they all totally understand so it's onwards and upwards from now and I'm looking forward to the next two weeks here."

A dazzling performance in England's victorious ICC World Twenty20 campaign aside, Pietersen has toiled with the bat on home soil this summer with an unconvincing 80 in the second Test against Pakistan being his only notable score.

A series of good innings in the county's four remaining fixtures will go some way towards repairing Pietersen's fragile confidence, which he admitted earlier this summer had been "battered" after he stepped down as England captain in January 2009 following a row with then coach Peter Moores.

Pietersen has failed to notch three figures in any form of the game since his resignation and will take time to readjust to the domestic game given that he has played only 11 county games in the last four years.

He is grateful to Surrey for giving him a chance to rebuild his form and admitted that he understood the selectors' decision.

"Any opportunity to spend some time in the middle is opportunity that I had to grab with both hands so I'm looking forward to it," said Pietersen, whose last 12 months have also been hampered by thigh and Achilles injuries.

"It's understandable that the selectors would like me to play some four-day games because the only first class cricket I have played since my Achilles injury has been in Test matches and it's pretty difficult to play Test matches if you are not at the top of your game.

"It's a wonderful opportunity for me to get back into nick.

"Hopefully I will be able to get five or six, seven knocks in the next two weeks and sort myself out for what will be an exciting winter."

Matter closed

National selector Geoff Miller, meanwhile, said he had drawn a line under the matter after discussing it with Pietersen.

"I've had a chat with Kevin. He explained the situation. I'm not too au fait with Twitter, but he explained what had happened and an apology was forthcoming," Miller told Sky Sports News.

"As far as I'm concerned, the matter is now closed. There are certain things I did not enjoy and I let him know those and now we will move on.

"I've had a private and personal conversation with the player.

"We all make errors and we accept that," he added.

"There's nobody in the world that's ever done anything absolutely perfect.

"There were a couple of things I didn't enjoy in it but we talked and the matter is closed and now we will get on with cricket."

  • Share:

Related

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

Redknapp: Costa's made a difference

Redknapp: Costa's made a difference

Diego Costa has shown the impact he can have at Chelsea, but injuries are a worry, says Jamie Redknapp.

Deadline Day on Sky

Deadline Day on Sky

Follow our unrivalled coverage on Monday on TV, online, on mobile, on tablet and on social media.

On the Supplement...

On the Supplement...

Get the lowdown on the top targets, bargain buys and panic purchases as Deadline Day approaches.