Middlesex follow England's lead

County won't force players to travel to India

Last Updated: 05/12/08 4:52pm

  • Share:
Udal: Hopeful

Udal: Hopeful

Sky Bet

Middlesex chief executive Vinny Codrington has said the county will follow England's lead in not forcing any of its players to travel to India for the rescheduled Champions League Twenty20.

The tournament, which pits winners of domestic T20 competitions in India, Pakistan, Australia, South Africa and England, was postponed last week after the terrorist attacks in Mumbai.

Middlesex, who qualified for the competition after winning last year's Twenty20 Cup, were due to stay at the Taj Mahal Palace hotel, one of those targeted by the terrorists.

England also cut short their seven-match one-day international series because of security concerns.

A review will be carried out to determine whether it is safe for the team to return, while England captain Kevin Pietersen has said no player will be forced to travel.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Codrington said Middlesex's approach will be the same and added his hope that the Champions League can be rescheduled for the New Year.

"My feeling is that we will be going back in the second half of January," he said.

"I think we'd probably go down the England model. We would canvas the players' opinion and ask if they wanted to go and if they didn't want to go then we wouldn't force them to go."

Keen to play

Security measures at India's airports were heightened on Thursday amid fears of fresh attacks, but Codrington insisted his players were keen to play.

"I think they are very keen to play especially as it is an inaugural competition," he added.

"It's an opportunity to pit themselves against the best and those sorts of opportunities don't come along very often."

Talks are planned between tournament chairman Lalit Modi and other officials this weekend in an attempt to reschedule the big-money tournament.

Middlesex captain Shaun Udal said he was hopeful it could be rearranged for some time early next year.

"Apparently there is a window being looked at in the third or fourth week in January. If everything is fine and security is not an issue then hopefully we'll be back there then," he said.

  • Share:

Related

Related Profiles

Most Popular

Features

Second Shout

Second Shout

Ed Robinson and Curtis Woodhouse discuss big wins for Hull rivals Tommy Coyle and Luke Campbell.

Balague: Could have been worse

Balague: Could have been worse

Guillem Balague says Barcelona were lucky to only lose by two goals in Saturday’s Clasico.

Merson: Draw was right

Merson: Draw was right

Paul Merson felt a share of the points was fair between West Brom and Crystal Palace and thought the referee called both penalties correctly.