Sale sweat on Tait injury

Full-back taken off in second half of Worcester defeat

Last Updated: 15/11/08 1:58pm

  • Share:
Tait: hamstring problem

Tait: hamstring problem

Sky Bet

Sale had a night to forget at Edgeley Park on Friday, losing 17-9 to Worcester and suffering an injury scare when Matthew Tait was taken off with a recurrence of a hamstring injury.

"Tait's hamstring went tight and because he had pulled it before we didn't want to take any risks and so brought him off."
Philippe Saint-Andre Quotes of the week

Tait was in line to start England's autumn international programme at full-back before damaging his hamstring a fortnight before the opening fixture against the Pacific Islanders.

The former Newcastle player returned to action for the Sharks in Friday but did not make the comeback he was hoping for.

He never looked fully fit and was withdrawn in the second half with a sore hamstring.

"Tait's hamstring went tight and because he had pulled it before we didn't want to take any risks and so brought him off," said Sale's director of rugby Philippe Saint-Andre.

"We don't know how serious it is."

Netani Talei scored the only try of the game to breathe new life into Worcester's campaign and condemn Saint-Andre's men to an alarming fourth straight home loss.

Their home in Stockport has become a fortress in recent seasons but they looked desperately devoid of ideas and inspiration throughout.


Saint-Andre added: "Worcester deserved to win and this was one of Sale Sharks' worst performances since I've been involved in the club.

"I take a lot of responsibility for this and I'm very, very concerned.

"It's the first time in my coaching career of 11 years that I've lost four home games in succession.

"We're missing a lot of players through injury and international call-ups and we've got to try and get ready for Wasps next weekend.

"We have eight days to improve."

Fijian flanker Talei, 25, crossed the line in the 52nd minute of a largely tepid encounter to edge his side 11-6 ahead and from there Mike Ruddock's men did not look back.

Fly-half Matthew Jones also landed four penalties and the Warriors won the physical battle up front to lay the platform for a fine victory.

"It was a very good performance - we played well and deserved our win" said Ruddock.

"At 6-6 at half-time, I thought we had probably had had the better of the half but hadn't manage to penetrate.

"I asked the boys to carry on playing that way because I felt we would get an opportunity and that's what happened as we scored a great try."

  • Share:


Related Profiles

Most Popular


Le Tiss' #One2Eleven

Le Tiss' #One2Eleven

Southampton goal machine Matt Le Tissier puts pen to paper to pick his #One2Eleven.

Hatton's #One2Eleven

Hatton's #One2Eleven

Ahead of the fight of the century in Las Vegas, Ricky Hatton picks his best Man City XI on TFFC.

On Soccer Saturday...

On Soccer Saturday...

Jeff Stelling and the boys are back for another action-packed Soccer Saturday on Sky Sports.