Sky Sports looks at top century makers in Test cricket after Alastair Cook record
Last Updated: 06/12/12 3:04pm
Alastair Cook has batted himself right up to the top of pile in the list of England's top century makers in Test cricket.
His continued brilliance has seen him break Wally Hammond's age-old record at the age of just 27, with many more three-figured scores bound to be on the horizon.
Cook's century in Kolkata was his 23rd in Test match cricket, his third in a row and remarkably his fifth on the bounce as England captain, dating back to his temporary stint in Sri Lanka.
Team-mate Kevin Pietersen could yet join him at the top of the list, as he is tied in second now alongside greats such as Geoffrey Boycott and Colin Cowdrey.
Top England century-makers in Test cricket:
ALASTAIR COOK - 23 Centuries in 85 matches
WALLY HAMMOND - 22 in 85
KEVIN PIETERSEN - 22 in 90 (yet to bat in 91st Test)
GEOFFREY BOYCOTT - 22 in 108
COLIN COWDREY - 22 in 114
ANDREW STRAUSS - 21 in 100
KEN BARRINGTON - 20 in 82
GRAHAM GOOCH - 20 in 118
LEN HUTTON - 19 in 79
MICHAEL VAUGHAN - 18 in 82
Top 10 all-time Test century-makers worldwide
Although he tops his country's charts, Cook still has a long way to go to mix it with the big boys in world cricket, with Sachin Tendulkar currently out in front with 51 centuries in Test matches.
The likes of Jacques Kallis and Ricky Ponting are also well in front of Cook, who is still a long way off breaking into the top ten of world century-scorers, but he has plenty of time to change that.
1. SACHIN TENDULKAR (INDIA) - 51 centuries in 192* matches
2. JACQUES KALLIS (SOUTH AFRICA) - 44 in 158*
3. RICKY PONTING (AUSTRALIA) 41 in 168
4. RAHUL DRAVID (INDIA) 36 in 164
5. SUNIL GAVASKAR (INDIA) 34 in 125
6. BRIAN LARA (WEST INDIES) 34 in 131
7. STEVE WAUGH (AUSTRALIA) 32 in 168
8. MAHELA JAYAWARDENE (SRI LANKA) 31 in 135*
9. MATTHEW HAYDEN (AUSTRALIA) 30 in 103
10. KUMAR SANGAKKARA (SRI LANKA) 30 in 113*